Looking for brake upgrade C3500 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm interested in better pad and shoes. What would you recommend? Also recommendations on a brake controller would be appreciated.
It sucks that manufacturers aren't more forthcoming with specific info on their brake pads and shoes.

As far as I can tell by looking up your application, Raybestos Element3 "hybrid technology" pads (EHT459H*) have a friction code of GG which is pretty good. This info based strictly off the pictures provided on Rockauto. A few of the other "heavy duty" pads are EE, FE, etc.

Raybestos' website shows the SP459TRH to be "ultra-premium" performance but the pic shows a friction code of FE. Call me crazy but I think GG is better..

The only high end shoes they show a clear enough pic to make out the friction code are Dynamic Friction (1903045200*) with an EE.

There are other members here that have done a lot more research into this than my quick look at the offerings.. hopefully they can chime in with more info.

FWIW I went with Raybestos Element3 metallic pads (PGD459M) on my '93 dually, but it's just a lowered street toy, no towing. Didn't notice what friction code they had and the pics on Rock for my part # don't show it. :( Previous owner had just done the rear brakes so I'm not going in there until I have to; no idea what they used.

*part #'s I found with quick look-up; be sure to investigate thoroughly before buying. and as I said, someone else may have better suggestions.

Richard

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '03 Trailblazer locked-up the A/C compressor about eighty miles from home. Stopped to eat, came back out and truck wouldn't crank over. Ran good...once the serpentine belt broke.
You must be registered for see images attach

We got a ride home, then I came back the next day with my '88 K1500 and a car trailer. Drove the Trailblazer on to the car trailer with no water pump or PS. No big deal--wasn't running long enough to get warm.

My K1500 has "2500" brakes--the equivalent to JB6.

No brakes on the trailer. I need to rebuild and rewire the brakes on the trailer, and I need to buy and install a brake controller for the truck.

Short story...No problems all the way home.

Similar story towing a Chrysler minivan ~40 miles on that same trailer, with the same truck.

If you have braking issues with a tonner dually pulling a trailer and Trailblazer, SOMETHING is dramatically wrong. You don't need an "upgrade", you need a REPAIR.

Last edited: