Looking for better towing in my 96 DRW CCLB L29

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So like the title says I am looking for better towing power in my 96, I pull a 48ft race trailer. The truck is a low milage, about 40K miles, 7.4L 2WD DRW with the 4L80 and 4:10 gears.

As I see it I have several options.

option 1;
I have an extra high mile L29 I pulled from a 97. I could rebuild it and possibly stroke it to 496. Maybe upgrade the heads and of course a cam.

Option 2;
I could put a pro-charger on the current engine.

Option 3;
I have a oppertunity to purchase a 04 2500 with the 8.1L so I would have the complete motor, ECU, and harness. It has about 175K miles and I know nothing about how it was treated or maintained.

Option 4;
I have the oppertunity to purchase a fiends 95 Dodge 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins. The owner is a close friend and I know he treats the truck VERY well, not sure of the milage but I think it is under 150K.

Option 5;
I have several trucks behind the barn with 6.0 LS motors. One is a LQ4 the other a LQ9 both are high mile 250K plus motors.

I already have the diagrams and ECU for doing a 411 swap so that is already in the plans if I stay gas.

Options 1, 3 & 5 would require a rebuild so I could really build it for my needs.

Option 4 would require freshening up but most likely not a full rebuild.

Option 4 is most likely the most expensive swap to perform and I not sure how I would get the gauges to work.

I think option 5 is the lease desirable. I love the LS motors but I not sure how they would do pulling the trailer.

Options 1 or 2 would be the easiest to perform. I thing option 2 might be the lease expensive.

Any of the gas options would give me BAD fuel economy while towing.

Option 3 would require more wiring modification due to the DBW throttle.

Option 4 would give me the best fuel economy as well as the most pulling power.

I would like to hear form anyone that has done any of this and hear about the plusses and minuses they have experienced.

Thanks
Craig

Ksmith285

Reaction score
I am gonna go the procharger route myself but I only pull a 26 foot aluminum camper with a rzr inside. But I am interested in the 411 swap could you share your diagrams?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Procharger isn't gonna do anything at low RPM, won't be very useful to help hold OD with a trailer out back. Turbo is where it's at.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NJ? Want another option?

I've got an 04 LLY Duramax from a Centurion dually you can throw into the mix if you want it. 270k and runs fine. Not sure of history though. I bought the truck on the cheap due to a rusted frame that is bad bad. I just wanted the rear end and front knuckles off of it. I didn't know it had a running engine and working tranny. It is still a roller until I can get a plan in place for it. Take the whole truck minus the rear end and knuckles.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes diesel is best for heavy towing, but there is another option. Do you have strict emissions testing? If not, I suggest building the 97 into a 496. Port the stock heads like I did on mine, put in a cam, springs, roller rockers and adjustable valvetrain, headers, Edelbrock Performer Rpm intake, and a Holley Sniper. The L29 heads can flow 300 cfm on the intakes, enough for 550 ft-lb and 450-500 hp with a 496 and mild cam. I guess it depends on how much you like building engines and working on the truck. Full disclosure, I'm going on 2 years on my engine build and swap...