Looking for brake upgrade C3500 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 C3500 CC DRW, 7.4L 4L80E.

I am looking for a brake upgrade for towing.

I recently trailered a Trailblazer SS on a open trailer and it was kind of sketchy. I think I need a better brake controller as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, I've been using 3500 calipers and pads as a brake upgrade for my 2500, never considered there's something larger than that.

The DRW CC has the largest pistons, thickest pads and rotors of all the GMT400s. I doubt there is an upgrade...

@SS Performance I towed a lifted Chevy mud truck with my 1500 Yukon Denali. Not sketchy at all with my 12k Dual axle Cargo trailer. Are you sure your trailer is up to the task of such hauling a lightweight toy like a Trailblazer?

Last edited:

Mbosse

Reaction score
Power stop brakes have great reviews and are very reasonable on rock auto. New calipers pistons and pads. Brake controllers are a pain since there are no factory plugs on these trucks so making sure it is wired right with no bad connections is vital as well as making sure the wire running to the back is large enough. Also if you’re really serious about it there’s a couple ways to swap to a hydroboost. They’re usually better and were made for the 6.5 so the fit about right in these trucks. Just have to do some new line running but nothing crazy and definitely worth it if your seriously towing.

Mbosse

Reaction score
Power stop brakes have great reviews and are very reasonable on rock auto. New calipers pistons and pads. Brake controllers are a pain since there are no factory plugs on these trucks so making sure it is wired right with no bad connections is vital as well as making sure the wire running to the back is large enough. Also if you’re really serious about it there’s a couple ways to swap to a hydroboost. They’re usually better and were made for the 6.5 so the fit about right in these trucks. Just have to do some new line running but nothing crazy and definitely worth it if your seriously towing.
Edit: If you’re really serious about the hydroboost I’d suggest one out of a 08 or so Silverado. And don’t forget to run a cooler on it as well.

SS Performance

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck has hydroboost, not a fan. Thru a belt a few years ago, lost steering and brakes! Not fun at 70 mph.

What brake controller would you guys suggest? I have a Redarc, The problem I see is if you don't start slowing down the accelarometer doesn't provide any braking.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always carried a spare belt in my K3500. Yeah belt goes that means you slow down , pull over stop. Hydraboost accumulator allows you to apply brakes and stop. Armstrong steering. It purpose is to allow you to safely stop. Not continue and keep on and off the brakes. Check your brakes condition. Drums adjusted? Get some better disc pads, and towing quality shoes.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As OP mentioned truck already has hydroboost (GMT400 3500's come with this by default) - but I don't understand the distaste for it. I get it that you lost the belt and that can be hair-raising when you lose steering and brake assist, but if you're working the truck then the belt should be high on your PM list. Hydroboost has massively more mechanical advantage than vacuum boost, and it's why the higher GVWR trucks got it by default.

The brakes on the 3500's really are pretty damn good, so I'd look at being sure everything is in good working condition before thinking about looking for upgrades that are generally non-existent, other than just choosing pads with more bite.

I'd suggest inspecting the whole system along with flushing the fluid if it hasn't been done in a while. Towing obviously places higher demand on the braking system so if there's too much moisture in the fluid it's gonna make itself known with poor performance.

And yes, sounds like the brake controller may be suspect. How about the trailer brakes themselves?

Richard

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 96 C3500 CC DRW, 7.4L 4L80E.

I am looking for a brake upgrade for towing.

I recently trailered a Trailblazer SS on a open trailer and it was kind of sketchy. I think I need a better brake controller as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig
What exactly does "kind of sketchy" mean?