L29 with 300k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superduper

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m looking for feedback/ideas for Repowering a 98 k2500 with an l29/4l80e with 300k.

The story- it’s free and has sentimental value. That being said it’s not going anywhere and I have no problem dropping 10-20k into it to give it another 30 years.
I drive a 2017 1500 with a 5.3, that’s my driver. I will probably always drive a 1500 for a daily So I’d like to have a heavy duty rig in the lineup for actually doing things- tow, ranch, hunt, camp, fun, etc.

The free truck and large long term investment really open up too many ideas….LBZ or Cummins on the wild end, but I’m leaning towards a rebuild or a crate. At 300k should I even consider the variables of a rebuild? Im leaning towards a crate...

If I go that route I think I’d like to stay with a 454. A GM performance or a blueprint crate ? Are there any better options?

She runs great for 300k so I will be restoring/upgrading the engine and tranny last, lots of time to change my mind. Im almost done gathering parts and pieces to redo the interior, that’ll be first.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If it has sentimental value, then I'd keep the original engine. I'm not sure what you're point is concerning it's current mileage.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about 300k. Sentimental rebuild the 7.4. If you want something better 0411 swap the computer and put an 8.1 or better yet a 8.8 psi crate motor. Tons of torque and great motors