1999 L29 7.4 - which spark plugs for a .050 gap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I'm looking for spark plugs for my '99 K2500 suburban. I've read a lot of different posts with spark plug numbers, but I don't see any that are pre-gapped to .050. Everything I've seen is for the stock .060. Any leads on part numbers?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set the gap to what you want. Never trust the gap in the first place - they might have been dropped at some point.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any that are pre-gapped to .050. Everything I've seen is for the stock .060. Any leads on part numbers?
O'Reillys shows about two dozen spark plugs that "fit" my '97 L29. The one that has a decipherable part number is R44LTS6.

Which means that an R44LTS (no "6") gets me a correct heat range, thread reach, taper-seat equivalent but with a .044 gap instead of .060. I don't know of a .050 alternative.

If you want a fancy (Platinum, Iridium, Kryptonite) plug, you're going to have to scour the spark-plug catalogs.

Set the gap to what you want.
Fancy spark plugs--Platinum, Iridium--are not to be re-gapped. If the gap isn't right out-of-the-box, you return them to the store and get ones that are.

Supposedly, re-gapping the plugs can rip the little piece of Platinum or Iridium off the ground electrode, or (more likely) bend the fine-wire center electrode. In other words...opening or closing the gap is potentially damaging to the spark plug.

Moreover, spark plugs have a "gap range", let's say about + or - .009. Don't crush a .060 plug down to .040, although .051 might be acceptable. Plugs work best when the side electrode is more-or-less at 90 degrees to the center electrode.

Never trust the gap in the first place - they might have been dropped at some point.
I've been known to "check" the gap of fancy spark plugs. I think the most-common reason that those plugs don't have the correct gap, is because they're counterfeits.

I bought "ACDelco Iridium" plugs for my Trailblazer from a scuzzball in Forney, Texas via Amazon. My first clue that the plugs weren't genuine was that no two were gapped the same. Then I started looking closer.
You must be registered for see images attach

I sent that photo--and several others--to GM. Their reply confirmed that they were "Not authentic".

Last edited: