1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I keep telling my wife that throwing some money at old trucks every once in a while is better than an 800 a month or more payment.
Yup that's what I think too! Plus so much of the newer stuff isn't that reliable, as it should be given the expense.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep telling my wife that throwing some money at old trucks every once in a while is better than an 800 a month or more payment.
It usually is but lately its been something on everything we have, so something is constantly broken an that just gets more an more frustrating. I get one thing fixed an 2 days later something else happens.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Sigh, went to drive it today to get some parts for the boys stepper. Pulled out of the neighborhood, went to shift to third an something popped, my hand bounced off the dash (while still holding the shifter) an that was all she wrote. NV4500s have long throws already but now this one is super long now. :doh2:

Was able to get it back into second an get it home. Seems I can get fourth too but nothing for first, third or fifth.

Guess the replacement install just got accelerated up the to do list.....
That sucks, at least you already bought the replacement before now

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It usually is but lately its been something on everything we have, so something is constantly broken an that just gets more an more frustrating. I get one thing fixed an 2 days later something else happens.
Welcome to the club, man. That's exactly my life :lol: At this point, I blame myself because I'm the one who has us in old stuff but I do like the no car payment life so there's that silver lining lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dirty girl....
You must be registered for see images attach

Clean(er)

Input shaft is worn badly in the pilot bearing area. New shaft an bearings on order along with $100 worth of fluids :doh2:

I guess we will see when I get the old one out if I've got to get into the clutch an all. Already thinking I should do a new pilot bushing since the shaft will be new. I had plans to leave the bellhousing an clutch alone, reuse the current slave with a new TO bearing. Hoping that will still be viable option but not sure I can swap the pilot with all that still in there.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well pulled the trans today. First discovery was that the "pop" we heard was the rear 2 bolts pulling out of the shifter. The gasket was mostly missing as well an was the source of my leak. I put the shifter back an while it did shift slightly better it still grinds.

So out it came :doh2:

Discoveries while removing it. Carrier bearing Dr side bolt missing completely. Pass side bolt was there but no nut on it. 2 of the trans to bellhousing bolts had been stripped. So even though I didn't want to pull the bellhousing it's gotta be changed anyway. So I pulled it an then the clutch. It's got a sticker on it of 2006 so it's been replaced an there are markings all over the trans that lead me to believe someone has been in it before. I think I'm going to put the clutch back, it doesn't look to bad to me. I'm going to do the rear main an replace the pilot bearing with a bushing. New mainshaft an some bearings should be in by Monday so I've got some time to decide for sure. What do you guys think about the clutch? It looks like it has alot of life left to me.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Mine didn't look a lot better than yours, and I put it back in, after doing the rear main seal. Been doing good since.

Although, I hope to not be doing my own gear changes here, before too long.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't look a lot better than yours, and I put it back in, after doing the rear main seal. Been doing good since.

Although, I hope to not be doing my own gear changes here, before too long.
Ya I have a new throwout bearing or whatever they call them on the internal slave. The slave looks like it was done at the same time as the clutch as well. So I think all that will go back. The rear main isnt isn't terrible but might as well while I'm here since it is wet around it an I have a few days before the trans goes back in.