1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the rear main an pilot bushing in. The old bearing put up a fight but I got it out. Drained the oil from the used trans an it looked pretty good. Pulled the input to get it ready for the new one. I dont see anything major inside the trans just normal wear. Now the question is how I get the race out of the front cap since I'm doing a new bearing too...

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well two steps forward, three backward :thumbsdown:

I got the bearing on the input shaft, an the race in the retainer. Seal gave me some trouble but I got it in too. Buttoned up the PTO cover from where I drained the oil, soaked the new 3/4 thrust bearing an input pocket bearing in oil while I was doing all that. Got the new input bearing coated an everything installed an ready to seal up. Put the retainer on an tightened it up, an promptly locked the trans up. :doh2:

Take it off an everything was fine. Figured I didn't have the shaft fully seated so tried it a few more times with the same result. Took the bad trans apart an apparently I got the wrong race for that location. You can see the difference in the installed height of the race an if I use that retainer it goes right on an spins very nicely.

So another seal an the correct race are on order. I couldn't find it even remotely local so looks like it's down another week.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's get this thing back together!

Got the parts in, an got it back in the truck finally. Taking a break an then a test drive...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Let's get this thing back together!

Got the parts in, an got it back in the truck finally. Taking a break an then a test drive...

The shifter, unattached, looks like a serious deadly weapon.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It works! Man it shifts so nice an smooth, no crazy noises, it's like a whole new truck.

It's always a gamble on used parts an this one was expensive for sure but I'm super happy with it. I figure even though I have about $1300 in it, rebuilding the other one would have been $2k plus. Hopefully I can get maybe $400-500 for the old one as a core.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In celebration here is a quick an dirty photoshop of the next big adventure awaiting me...

Hopefully that's roughly how it'll sit. I think the front will be a bit higher. Blacked out between the windows too.

Thought about some faux trim to breakup all the white. Not sure how I feel about that though.