1998 Chevy Silverado Repair and Restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This is my new-to-me 1998 Silverado rcsb that I obtained from a friend. I was actually with him when he bought the truck new so I know everything about it. It has 158,00 well-maintained miles. When I took possession it had a disintegrated dash, non-working stop lamps, worn carpet and broken air conditioning. So far I have replaced the whole dash, installed a new evaporator coil, dryer and orfice tube, new heater core and new actuators.

I plan to lower 2/4 with Belltech spindles, change wheels, disk brake rear, upgrade front brakes, Posi with 4:10 and repaint. I plan to do all the work myself so it will be a slow process.

Last edited:

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress so far with the completed dash and new carpet. All controls are in working order. Dash came out of a junkyard 98 Suburban. I swapped all the original truck harness into the new dash and painted everything to match. I changed the carpet color to graphite and installed Dynamat underneath. The stop lights had a bad wire going into the under hood relay and fuse box. Air conditioner is working properly.

It took me about a month to complete this working a little at a time.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased new Cooper tires in 255/60/R15 which is down from the worn out 275/60/16's that were on the truck. The Centerlines currently on the truck are 15x8" on center and the larger tires had a bulge that appeared to be marginal for the lowering I plan to do.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner who was also the person that bought it new never had a place to store the truck out of the sun. He never covered it nor did he use a shade. Over 21 years the sun simply baked it. The plastic literally fell apart when I removed the dash to replace the evaporator coil.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I installed the 410 gear, Yukon posi and Moser c-clip axles. Still have a long way to go. Hopefully I'll have it ready to drive to the track during the 2022 season.