How to tune a Chevy Silverado 1998 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busters

Reaction score
Okay so I’m new to this stuff but I got a 1998 Chevy Silverado C1500 5.0 and I’m looking to put a tune in it and I’m not what to use or if it would even work on my truck sense the pedal sensor is not electric any ways you guys might think?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you should find someone else to do the tuning work.
Considering you dont know "what to use or if it would even work" and since none of the "pedal sensor" s are "electric any ways".

You should continue to read multiple threads and discover who others have recommended.
Also, a whole lot more information would be needed. like: why do you need a tune? Have you changed the injection system, or exhaust? Or are you just regurgitating words you've heard... "I want a tune because the jokers at the coffee shop all have a tune..."

What is the reason, direction, goal for this truck? Economy? Racing? Towing? Lifted/Lowered? Different size tires?

Last edited:

Busters

Reaction score
I think you should find someone else to do the tuning work.
Considering you dont know "what to use or if it would even work" and since none of the "pedal sensor" s are "electric any ways".

You should continue to read multiple threads and discover who others have recommended.
Also, a whole lot more information would be needed. like: why do you need a tune? Have you changed the injection system, or exhaust? Or are you just regurgitating words you've heard... "I want a tune because the jokers at the coffee shop all have a tune..."

What is the reason, direction, goal for this truck? Economy? Racing? Towing? Lifted/Lowered? Different size tires?
Reason for it would be a race ish street truck my goal is to put more horsepower and tuning would help if I could, I have a new injector and injector wires as well as brand new muffler new exhaust pipes and duel exhaust at the back, and I want the full purpose for more power of feel to my truck.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's plenty of power from the Vortec 5.0, 230 hp is plenty for a stock 2wd. Considering your stock engine and its central sequential injection system is tuned for 87, are you ready for the requirement of 93 octane fuel from now on?

There are other power gains to be had before a tune should be considered. Headers, air intake, camshaft are necessary info the tuner will need. Have you changed them?
Tires, axle gears?
How about pistons and compression ratio? Bone stock?
Cooling system... a 165 thermostat sucks in winter, ask me how I know...

Busters

Reaction score
There's plenty of power from the Vortec 5.0, 230 hp is plenty for a stock 2wd. Considering your stock engine and its central sequential injection system is tuned for 87, are you ready for the requirement of 93 octane fuel from now on?

There are other power gains to be had before a tune should be considered. Headers, air intake, camshaft are necessary info the tuner will need. Have you changed them?
Tires, axle gears?
How about pistons and compression ratio? Bone stock?
Cooling system... a 165 thermostat sucks in winter, ask me how I know...
Yeah you do got a point there for it all I will look into it more thank you

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had a 170*F thermostat, even a 144*F thermostat (Nissan Motorsports temperature) in multiple vehicles. In -10*F the heater would cook you out of my Tahoe with a 170*F thermostat. In my M56S the 144*F thermostat still had 130-140*F temps at the heater vents, plenty hot.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I have had a 170*F thermostat, even a 144*F thermostat (Nissan Motorsports temperature) in multiple vehicles. In -10*F the heater would cook you out of my Tahoe with a 170*F thermostat. In my M56S the 144*F thermostat still had 130-140*F temps at the heater vents, plenty hot.

Average low temps in the DFW area are our average highs up here in Northeast KS in the winter months...it does make a difference in REAL cold weather ;)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Average low temps in the DFW area are our average highs up here in Northeast KS in the winter months...it does make a difference in REAL cold weather ;)

True enough, but I do get outside of DFW and a cold start on some days can be Zero or below. I saw no real difference. By the time the engine is at 130-140*F the heat is so hot you are turning down the temperature knob to blend cold outside air into the air coming out of the vents to keep from drying your eyes out. The thermostat is closed anyway on either thermostat until well above that point. Another thing many people do in cooler weather is add a sheet of cardboard or a grille cover to block off some airflow to the radiator and engine compartment.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Another thing many people do in cooler weather is add a sheet of cardboard or a grille cover to block off some airflow to the radiator and engine compartment.
That was a staple in my younger years. I had a '79 K10 that would get cardboard right around Christmas and stay there until the end of Feb, that's back when Western NE had snow on the ground from Halloween through Feb.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 1998 Chevy Silverado C1500 5.0 and I’m looking to put a tune in it
I wouldn't bother to tune a 305. All the tuning you can do on a 305 will just get you to where a 350 is stock. If you want more power, you can score a 350 and ECM from Pull-A-Part for dirt cheap. It's just labor on your part.