1997 k1500 ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stock 062 heads... ...black bear do the tune. I got beat by a F-150 5.4L in it and it had a 55 gallon drum of boat fuel in the bed of the truck, and I got walked like wtf is wrong with this engine, it's honestly prolly no better than stock.
The cam you have, and the heads you have, and (maybe) Black Bear tuning...I wouldn't be surprised if you have LESS "usable" power than stock.

If I were you, checking cranking compression would become a top priority. Second priority would be to connect a scan tool, look at fuel trims, knock sensor activity, coolant temp, MAF, and MAP signal. But since it's so easy, verify ALL the sensors.

Third priority would be to verify that the throttle is opening all the way.

You've never mentioned what the fuel pressure is, or what gearing/tires the truck has. Automatic trans or manual? Brakes dragging? How old is the exhaust system? Catalyst plugging? Pipes collapsed? Restrictive muffler?

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
The cam you have, and the heads you have, and (maybe) Black Bear tuning...I wouldn't be surprised if you have LESS "usable" power than stock.

If I were you, checking cranking compression would become a top priority. Second priority would be to connect a scan tool, look at fuel trims, knock sensor activity, coolant temp, MAF, and MAP signal. But since it's so easy, verify ALL the sensors.

Third priority would be to verify that the throttle is opening all the way.

You've never mentioned what the fuel pressure is, or what gearing/tires the truck has. Automatic trans or manual? Brakes dragging? How old is the exhaust system? Catalyst plugging? Pipes collapsed? Restrictive muffler?
Fuel pressure is 60 psi at wot, Trucks 3.42, with 285/70/17s, auto 4l60e, no brake drag, exhaust fairly new fresh headers when I put the engine, single chamber racing mufflers, and no cat system, no collapsed pipes.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, shots fired. I can tell you I have the same heads and a slightly larger cam lift, and it absolutely has more usable power than stock.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh oh. Feelings are getting hurt!

This place is turning into something that isn't very helpful.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP is running 33" tires with 3.42 gears. Unless he puts a boosted big block in the truck, it is gonna be slow as molasses.

The rest of this **** aint gonna matter.

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Wow, shots fired. I can tell you I have the same heads and a slightly larger cam lift, and it absolutely has more usable power than stock.
But why I did the research the 062 aren't that bad of a head granted their dated but still should be able to make some reliable power with it