91 K1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallen1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, brand new here. So I joined to get some insight from people who obviously have been at this longer than me. So here goes. I have a 1991 Silverado K1500 with a stock tbi 350 and I am wanting to convert it to a carburetor. I was going to get a new intake manifold, carburetor, and full MSD ignition system (to get rid of the need for a computer). Anyway, I'm thinking, since I have to get a new intake manifold anyway, I would kinda like to get new heads as well and maybe a different cam. This truck is a little over 6,000 lbs with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires so I was thinking it would be nice to have some more torque. I know it's a big truck but I also like the idea of it being big AND fast. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking around the 500 or 600 foot pounds of torque range would be nice. So what exactly would I need to do to pull that off? Am I looking at a whole new built engine or is the stock block something I can work with and build up from there? New rods, pistons, maybe even a new crank? Would it have to be four bolt main or would two be ok? Any help or info and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's probably someone here who's done a similar mod. Is this a DD or an off-road vehicle? Why would you want to get away from EFI?

Are you replacing the tranny or keeping it? One issue will be the tranny shifting and lock-up converter.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-think your plan.

1. That much power is going to cost a LOT of money. You should have started-off with a big-block truck. A 350 is going to be a challenge without forced induction, or so much RPM that it doesn't make sense in a pickup. A "383" is popular, and more-do-able, but at 500--600 ft/lbs, I'd want a 454 or 8.1L.

2. You're going to make an oily metal milkshake of the transmission...

3. ...and then you're going to do the same with the rear axle.

Fallen1

Reaction score
There's probably someone here who's done a similar mod. Is this a DD or an off-road vehicle? Why would you want to get away from EFI?

Are you replacing the tranny or keeping it? One issue will be the tranny shifting and lock-up converter.
It's just a toy but if I felt like daily driving it I would like it to be an option. I don't want efi because I don't want a bunch of electronics, sensors and all that. Old school is simple.

Fallen1

Reaction score
Re-think your plan.

1. That much power is going to cost a LOT of money. You should have started-off with a big-block truck. A 350 is going to be a challenge without forced induction, or so much RPM that it doesn't make sense in a pickup. A "383" is popular, and more-do-able, but at 500--600 ft/lbs, I'd want a 454 or 8.1L.

2. You're going to make an oily metal milkshake of the transmission...

3. ...and then you're going to do the same with the rear axle.
How much is "a lot" of money? And I have no problem using forced induction. I wouldn't mind having a nice big roots supercharger sticking out of the hood. Lol Also what would be a good upgrade in transmission then? And rear end? And I'm sure transfer case as well.

Fallen1

Reaction score
Also, if it is that big a deal and worth it to just get a bigger engine, that is an option as well. I kinda toyed with the idea of doing a huge conversion and sticking in an old International DT466 but I'm not sure if I want to do THAT much modification.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque comes from displacement and farm equipment, so I think you'd be better off with either a big block Chevy or a Cummins 6bt. The rest of the drivetrain will need to be built to match.