1997 k1500 ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input so lastyear I built a 5.7 350 for my 97 used icon forged flattop pistons, stock connecting rods, stock crank, a cam from comp woth .488 .495 lift cam and shorty headers, and had it tuned by black bear and for some odd reason it just dont run right. Like itll make all the noise you want it too but if your beating on it, it goes absolutely nowhere fast and im to the point of 0411 swapping it if I can't get it figured out anyone got any input or things to try??

Attachments

• 20221209_142545.jpg
    20221209_142545.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 10

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have any way to watch fuel trims and timing while you drive it?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input so lastyear I built a 5.7 350 for my 97 used icon forged flattop pistons, stock connecting rods, stock crank, a cam from comp woth .488 .495 lift cam and shorty headers, and had it tuned by black bear and for some odd reason it just dont run right. Like itll make all the noise you want it too but if your beating on it, it goes absolutely nowhere fast and im to the point of 0411 swapping it if I can't get it figured out anyone got any input or things to try??
Really not shocking to me being BB tuned. I have retuned several of them myself. Most need some timing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the cranking compression pressures in all eight? What is your altitude?

Was the cam degree'd when installed, or just shoved-in "dot-to-dot"?

Do you have prior experience setting lifter preload?

Does the throttle open all the way? How do you know?

Do you have a high-lift cam pushing valves in the stock, crappy swirl-port heads that have NO CHANCE of flowing large amounts of air? A higher-rpm camshaft in an engine that CANNOT make power at high rpm is going to be a dog everywhere in the RPM band.

What did "Black Bear" remove from the programming? EGR functional? Other codes "disabled"?

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Yeah its all sorts of everything right now havent done a compression test on it, put it in dot to dot, yes stock 062 heads with upgraded springs all that I did to em, turn push rod back and forth and tighten rocker till their is resistance and tighten one full turn, how I was taught hasnt failed me on my stock engine, idk what black bear did I dont have software to read the tune.

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Okay so what sparked this was its stock bottom end with flattops and it's studded with stock 062 heads with upgraded springs for the lift I was using, I upgraded the fuel injection system while I was at it and had black bear do the tune because we'll im not that experienced with it yet learning curve, ohh and added shorty headers, this thing should have alil power for what I did, and I got beat by a F-150 5.4L in it and it had a 55 gallon drum of boat fuel in the bed of the truck, and I got walked like wtf is wrong with this engine, it's honestly prolly no better than stock.