1997 k1500 ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam you have, and the heads you have, and (maybe) Black Bear tuning...I wouldn't be surprised if you have LESS "usable" power than stock.

Wow, shots fired. I can tell you I have the same heads and a slightly larger cam lift, and it absolutely has more usable power than stock.

Uh oh. Feelings are getting hurt!

This place is turning into something that isn't very helpful.

I think Schurkey is mostly expressing a dissatisfaction for mail-order tunes.
I was in fact expressing a concern about mail-order "tunes".

The larger problem is that I mistakenly got the idea that this engine had swirl-port TBI heads. I don't know where that came from. The OP clearly said it was a '97. This is completely my fault.

Do you have a high-lift cam pushing valves in the stock, crappy swirl-port heads that have NO CHANCE of flowing large amounts of air?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The larger problem is that I mistakenly got the idea that this engine had swirl-port TBI heads. I don't know where that came from. The OP clearly said it was a '97. This is completely my fault.

It happens - but it just doesn't matter cause...

OP is running 33" tires with 3.42 gears. Unless he puts a boosted big block in the truck, it is gonna be slow as molasses.

The rest of this **** aint gonna matter.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It happens - but it just doesn't matter cause...

OP is running 33" tires with 3.42 gears. Unless he puts a boosted big block in the truck, it is gonna be slow as molasses.

The rest of this **** aint gonna matter.
I would not not say that at all. My Express is geared worse than that in 1st/2nd and still really got with the program even when it still had the 350..

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not not say that at all. My Express is geared worse than that in 1st/2nd and still really got with the program even when it still had the 350..

More bad advice...

You are an expert at setting things up and tuning it to work for your set up. OP is just learning.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L31 that's what I'm saying my 350 should have some power and it's gutless I swear it's in the tune.
It most likely is. Which is why I said what I said in post #3.

My buddy had a 98 K1500 SAS on 44s that still had 3.73 gears. With a 350 it ran very well too. It was not a rocket but it would get out of its own way. Another friend had a 99 Yukon on 37s. With a 350 with a Lunati Hotcam, headers, 2,000 rpm converter it also had good power.

This was back when I had a small comp cam (203/210 @ 0.050 on a 110 LSA), shorty headers right after I put the 4L85E in and had 3.42 gears still.

I can get some power out of these engines, but any tuner worth their salt should be able to as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was the same setup with electric fans and a 3.5" intake setup with a cone filter under the hood. Not exactly the best for getting cool air to the engine but it still ran well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get some power out of these engines, but any tuner worth their salt should be able to as well.
I know nnnnnnnothing about tuning.

We're under a wind-chill advisory, and it'll get worse through next month and into February.

How about you adopt me for the month of January; I'll move in, I'll buy beer and popcorn, and you can teach me everything you know.

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
I know nnnnnnnothing about tuning.

We're under a wind-chill advisory, and it'll get worse through next month and into February.

How about you adopt me for the month of January; I'll move in, I'll buy beer and popcorn, and you can teach me everything you know.
Haha iknow nothing too lol trucks up for winter here in michigan ill work on it and see how things go

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Here we are a 51 weeks later went to have 0411swap done, will not run without 30 degrees of timing been that way since I put it in the truck, bad news I gotta pull the engine and figure out what djit on me got oil coming out the exhaust on the drivers side and she sounds hurt only 2500 miles