1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yeah and I'm not trying to be Mr. Super Downer on all this crap but on the other hand I hate to see someone spend a lot of time and effort on a vehicle and end up with something that the state screws them on one way or another. Won't pass emissions, won't pass an inspection, or worst of all - is impounded/confiscated and they go to f'in jail for a felony for messing with the VIN.

This stuff happens. Maybe not to everyone that gets a little shady, but it does happen.

Richard
I see the point of inspections but they take it to far in the states that do it. They dont inspect here and ive seen more than a few vehicles that look really unsafe. Theres a late 60s chevy truck that a guy that lives behind my trailer park drives and it literaly has more rust than metal and looks like it shouldve been in a junkyard years ago.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
California allows you to install a newer, more fuel efficient, and better emission equipment engine.

The guidelines state all emissions equipment is used from the donor vehicle. It also states you can not mix class of engine giving the example of heavy duty to light duty. But don’t specify you can’t do the reverse. The engine must be from a vehicle that is California certified.

The new engine combination must then be inspected at referee station and the vehicle will then be smogged as the newer engine.

If you use a California 2500/3500 Cummins from 1997 or newer, you might be able to get around adding the particulate filter since it will be smogged as a 97 or newer light duty diesel.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I still hate Cali.

But I started working on the Cummins, it was a feat getting it into the bed my myself and my dodge is much taller than the bed the engine was sitting in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I started tearing it down. I figured there would be some water in the cylinders but more than my liking.

So I figured whatever it shouldn't be too bad to free this thing up with some PB Blaster, a ball hone, and some memory cloth until I noticed this in the third cylinder.

So now I have a busted sleeve since this thing wasn't covered very well from the elements for the past several years.

Then I have been trying to free up the pistons so I can remove the cam this evening with no luck. Even tried diging out some of the rust then using the memory cloth around the top of the pistons to no avail. So I'm pretty much just letting it sit for a while before I mess with it again.

I am pretty upset about the sleeve though, so great for only needing a hot tank and the block decked. Sour start I must say!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't have a busted sleeve, you have a busted block. The 5.9 does not have sleeves, not from factory anyway. There are repair sleeves that are used to clean up the bore if they get too raggedy, so if in fact the block IS sleeved, it's because it's already been through a rebuild after some heavy use/abuse.

If the hole doesn't go through to the water jacket you may be able to sleeve it/sleeve it again.

Richard

gstubbz

Reaction score
Things happen. Nothing goes right with anything in my life either lol go figure. And some decent snow, it was like 8" from Thursday/Friday.

--

You're right Richard, for some reason I assumed it was a wet sleeve like a DT466. I guess we will see what the machine shop says about it!

------------

Another little update today, finally removed the remaining 5 pistons from the block and stripped it down the rest of the way.

The pain in the ass piston left a nice scratch all the way through the block, I forgot to take a pic but I will in the morning. So that sucks!

From what I've researched, a repair sleeve / salvage liner is available and might work for me and they're cheap! $25 for one. So if that's the case it'll clear up the cracked cylinder problem. The scratch on the other cylinder isn't bad so hopefully it can be bored out. You could also see on top of the block where some dumbass used a 3M pad before putting the head gasket on so that is probably the exact reason it was leaking coolant.

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/pro...eve-liner-5-9-3-9-4bt-6bt-1-16-thick-3904166/

So when I was trying to get the block back upright after setting it on it's side I slid on all the oil and PB Blaster on the floor meanwhile slamming my knee into the ground and having the engine block fall on my arm crushing my arm between the block and cement, fortunately I was able to lift it high enough with my other hand to save myself. Gave me some scratches on my arm and I'm lucky the thing didn't break my arm because that totally could have happened! Arm is still sore but my fault for ******* with a heavy engine on a slick floor. Moving the 130lb crank with my jacked up arm wasn't fun either. I just left the head 4 feet where I drug it away on a milk crate because I know I'd never be able to lift and move that thing on my own.

But it's in the bed of my truck now, all tore down. The crank was immaculate and all of the bearings looked decent with STD labeled on all of them. So this block has potential hopefully.

Plan is after I get out of my college classes in the morning I'll call some machine shops in Reno and probably make a trip over to drop it off. I'm roughly estimating $500 for the hot tank, block decked, salvage liner install, and boring the block a bit. I honestly have never been to a machine shop so I have no idea if my guess is good or bad. We shall see! And my diet all weekend has been fast food, mainly because this damn engine has been stressing me out and I wanted food at 1am where Jack in the Box is the only place still open (and Chester has zero fast-food places).

Plan is to have my damn HD running and driving by the end of summer.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I have a little update, ended up not going with anyone in Reno. The quotes I received from multiple shops was for $800-1000 which IMO was too much to invest into this block.

Found a guy in Redding, and was able to get the price knocked down to about $400 give or take as a "shop discount" since I technically work at the junkyard. So tomorrow morning I'll be running down there with an engine. Won't be going through Cottonwood (sorry @GarrettGmc lol) but I'll take hwy 44 instead and it's a two hour drive. Might take I-5 down then hwy 32 over on the way home though.

The guy said that these 12 valves have risen in popularity so he's done quite a few lately. I'll find out what they will bore it to, don't really care but a 6.0L cummins would be sweet. We shall see. I want a sweet cummins since I'm going through all of this effort! Big power is a must.

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which shop u going to? A&I engines, SOJ diesel? I may be in cottonwood but I can make it from my driveway to pretty much anywhere in redding in 20 mins. Might have to go up to get concrete today.
I5 to 36 is a longer drive, just stick to 44 to 89 then 395, unless ur looking for scenic drive.
That's sweet u can get a deal on it since your technically a *cough* shop.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I talked to @GarrettGmc on his phone personally (and barely missed meeting him at Home Depot or something lol) but to update everyone else...

Dropped off the engine block on last Thursday and gave him a $340 deposit, at this point who knows what it will cost by the time I get to pick it up. Might be one of those things where I'll be like $900+ into the block alone. It's an old guy who owns the place, I'll reveal the name in the future if I'm happy with them. I was told they will start working on it this week so I may be able to pick it up at the end of the week or sometime next week. We shall see.

When I get the block back I'll start reassembling it, and have a list of things that will be next on my purchase list. I didn't get **** back for a tax return and actually owed a little bit until I threw some money into my stocks/IRA so I ended up getting money back, so no fun truck part spending for me!

I'll be welding and fabbing up my own brackets for the engine mounts and plan a few other things to keep this a cheaper project. Trying to keep it low while making the most with what's out in the junkyard already! Then in a few years when I have a true career (rather than college) then I can really deck it out. I'll admit this is a stupid project to be tackling when I just turned 20 when I need to focus on one vehicle rather than multiple money pits... but that's not me :)

To be continued! Maybe some time this week I'll get all the doors fully functional and working windows, still need to get glass from a Suburban.

As a side note, I really like how these seats look. Might have to buy a set in a few years since they are from a 2019 Ram 1500 which isn't even available to buy yet.

Also I think I am set on this grey. It's a beautiful color!!

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big cclb dually and grey? Mayb as a two tone otherwise Idk, but then agian I haven't revealed the color for the 94. Interior, I'd find some seat that u could eventually have rewrapped, that way u could get them to match the interior. Ya ur only 20 but you got lucky to find that truck and you've got plenty of time to finish it.
As for the block id give the guy a day or 2 then call him to check how bad the damage was that way you can get a better final estimate.