1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Well it's facebook official, and if you are in the group for the GMT400s there is a good chance you saw the photo since I'm a like *****.

So......... it's mine. How did I get it? Partially because I broke the ice by selling him the other Junkyard Rescue 6.5 to this guy. I work on computers for a living, so I helped him by upgrading the RAM in his desktop to 16GB and his wife needed a laptop, so I gave them an immaculate 2008 MacBook Pro 15" that I had sitting around because I never use it (I'm an Apple guy all the way). And that was our deal. Computer for a gutted truck!

And welp, it's all mine. I'm not getting it out tomorrow or probably not for a few weeks. I need to make a winch mount and ramps for my new flatbed trailer before I even rescue this thing. Decided to call this the Junkyard Rescue II, since the original JR I ended up at the junkyard where I got this truck.

Some more details. It's a 1996, Built in Janesville, WI in February of 1996, had a 6.5L Turbo Diesel, still has a 4L80e transmission in it, 5.13 ratio rear Dana 80 with disc brakes (10 lug), crew cab, and a thick ass frame.

Now why did I want this massive ass project? Well one it's my first crew cab GMT400 ever, I have wanted one for years after everything I've owned was an extended cab, second, it has those badass Kodiak door handles, and third, the GVWR is 15,000 pounds. To put that in perspective your normal c/k3500 dually is rated at 10,000 GVWR. This is 5k more and essentially is an F450/F-Superduty of the 90s in Chevy land.

What is the plan? Well this is not an overnight project and is a long term one. Ultimate goal is to have a clean crew cab that can haul whatever I need to, beit bumper pull, gooseneck, or fifth wheel. I want this thing to be worthy of going on road trips across America if needed. 2015+ Tow Mirrors without chrome are a must.

What I need is a 96-00 Chevy Suburban with a 454 Vortec. That way I have the engine and harnesses I need, as well as 90% of the interior I need to keep this a cheaper project. For a bed I would like to use a normal pickup dually bed. If I have a flatbed I have to stop at CHP weigh stations and I really do not want to do that. Regular bed will let me skate by and all the cops will think it's just a normal 1-ton dually.

Well, I have plenty of photos to share!

You must be registered for see images attach

I am super excited about this truck. Should be bad fu3king ass once it's completed. Granted it will be a while from now but this is just a start!

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Long Term Plans:

454 Vortec; possible future upgrade to 8.1L or 12v Cummins
4L80e; Would prefer a NV4500
Grey Cloth Interior; want black interior with leather seats from newer Chevy
Regular Truck Bed; dually
2015+ Tow Mirrors (I don't like the west coast setup)
White or Black Paint
Window Tint
Overhead console
Headache Rack
Third Brake Light
GMC or Silverado Grille Swap with 88/89 headlights

I'm thinking it should stay 2WD. I don't want a stupid tall truck with a SAS if I am going to be potentially hauling goosenecks or fifth wheels.

Traded the guy this MacBook Pro for the truck. I was going to give him the iMac I bought from ebay for $104 but it is just too nice and I like it too much. Mid 2011 model too, got it stupid cheap.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
99% of the rear axles on those were cab and chassis width. Which if I have figured right to be about 5 inches from wms to wms. The rear wheels will be tucked way in. Most of the HDs with standard beds put on have regular long beds with custom fender flares. The other option is custom wheel spacers to push them out. I have looked, and have not found any off the shelf manufacturer for the bolt pattern.

But nice find. Looking forward to the build.

Edit: 5 inch difference from standard DRW.

Xionation

Reaction score
That truck will be awesome once up and going. Love the look of the 3500HD. Just removing the mirrors will really just the look and feel.of the truck. Good luck with the built.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I actually really like the look of the west coast style mirrors. Especially with the kodiak style door handles.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, modern weight capacity in the old beast. I didn't realize GVWR was that much higher.