1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
First i've heard of this, that blows.
I would just move to Nevada, in fact my wife and I have talked about it.
My 92 k2500 reg renewal came in at $200 :eek:

All you guys in Cali with mint 400s should pack up and head for the hills,

And any of you Californites know about 2/3rd of the state wanting to secede and become the 51st state? I just recently saw something about that.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you guys in Cali with mint 400s should pack up and head for the hills,

And any of you Californites know about 2/3rd of the state wanting to secede and become the 51st state? I just recently saw something about that.

Ok so this has been years an years in progress. Southern Oregon and northern California becoming the State of Jefferson, however now some new politician talked abt the idea of splitting into 4-6 smaller states.

I should just buy dozens of 400s and move then flip some of em to rusty states

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so this has been years an years in progress. Southern Oregon and northern California becoming the State of Jefferson, however now some new politician talked abt the idea of splitting into 4-6 smaller states.

I should just buy dozens of 400s and move then flip some of em to rusty states
You'd probably make a ton of $$.
Our junkyards are full of trucks that look nicer than some of the projects people start with :rofl:

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
**** maybe when this truck is legal (whenever and however I accomplish that) I can start hauling these things by the truckload to eastern states!

Another little tidbit, had a guy call me the other day (who lives in the SF bay area) looking for Square Body parts, and he has a 75 crew cab from out of state, and he told me that DMV would not give him plates unless the truck had the correct "engine family" so he was looking for a ****** 454 block to drop in and tell DMV "Hey look it has the correct engine for the year" so that was interesting. There was another new DMV law passed for 2018 that they have to check the "engine family" when you go to register. I don't know if this is just out of state vehicles or every time you get a new truck/car that is "smog exempt" IE pre 1976 anything or pre 1998 diesel trucks.

If you're curious about what I mean...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...;CACHEID=052f05b3-ea4f-4cde-b017-3d970b8ea1a4

Effective January 1, 2018, only accept the REG 31 (REV. 9/2017) unless the REG 31 (REV. 2/2016) was completed on or before December 31, 2017.

Emission Label Test Group or Engine Family Number—below Section 9 (next to Remarks) a box was added. An Emission Label Test Group or Engine Family Number is located on emission labels and must be collected for model year vehicles listed in Section 9. —Test Group is most common for automobiles. —Engine Family is most common for motorcycles and OHVs. —Test Group and Engine Family may be shown on the label as Group, ENG, Family, or Emission Family. —A motorcycle emission label may be on the frame or under the seat or box compartment.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...21b-a8a3-c7751a0221b3/17vin29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I just MIGHT luck out because the truck was last registered in Cali. I hate to say it but I might just have to get a 6.5 in it so I can get through verification if it's required, I would hate to do that though.

But I made my mind on one aspect of this truck. It's getting that Dana 70 when I start building it when the engine is ready. We got 7" plus inches these past two days and I was so thankful to have 4x4 in my dodge, the trip home would have been impossible in 2wd, and Caltrans doesn't plow the roads worth a ****... but we don't have salt so I can deal with snow on the roads lol

There's a truck up in northern Oregon at another lot the junkyard owner here owns with his brother in law. He said there is a 1996 Ram 2500 5.9/47re? truck that has a trashed interior and is sitting, and he said if I want I can make a trip up there with a car trailer and go get it since I might need parts for my truck. If that's the case I'll just run the automatic since it's a 4x4 truck and I just said above that it is most definitely getting 4x4. Then I can also run a p-pump instead of a VE which I like since I know this truck will definitely not be stock in the future. I still probably will go through and rebuild a cummins block just so I know it's all good and I'll never have to deal with it again (hopefully).

State of Jefferson would have been cool, but most of the population in Lassen County is made of CDCR prison guards who wanted to keep their six digit income so they didn't vote for it.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
**** maybe when this truck is legal (whenever and however I accomplish that) I can start hauling these things by the truckload to eastern states!

Another little tidbit, had a guy call me the other day (who lives in the SF bay area) looking for Square Body parts, and he has a 75 crew cab from out of state, and he told me that DMV would not give him plates unless the truck had the correct "engine family" so he was looking for a ****** 454 block to drop in and tell DMV "Hey look it has the correct engine for the year" so that was interesting. There was another new DMV law passed for 2018 that they have to check the "engine family" when you go to register. I don't know if this is just out of state vehicles or every time you get a new truck/car that is "smog exempt" IE pre 1976 anything or pre 1998 diesel trucks.

If you're curious about what I mean...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...;CACHEID=052f05b3-ea4f-4cde-b017-3d970b8ea1a4

Effective January 1, 2018, only accept the REG 31 (REV. 9/2017) unless the REG 31 (REV. 2/2016) was completed on or before December 31, 2017.

Emission Label Test Group or Engine Family Number—below Section 9 (next to Remarks) a box was added. An Emission Label Test Group or Engine Family Number is located on emission labels and must be collected for model year vehicles listed in Section 9. —Test Group is most common for automobiles. —Engine Family is most common for motorcycles and OHVs. —Test Group and Engine Family may be shown on the label as Group, ENG, Family, or Emission Family. —A motorcycle emission label may be on the frame or under the seat or box compartment.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...21b-a8a3-c7751a0221b3/17vin29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I just MIGHT luck out because the truck was last registered in Cali. I hate to say it but I might just have to get a 6.5 in it so I can get through verification if it's required, I would hate to do that though.

But I made my mind on one aspect of this truck. It's getting that Dana 70 when I start building it when the engine is ready. We got 7" plus inches these past two days and I was so thankful to have 4x4 in my dodge, the trip home would have been impossible in 2wd, and Caltrans doesn't plow the roads worth a ****... but we don't have salt so I can deal with snow on the roads lol

There's a truck up in northern Oregon at another lot the junkyard owner here owns with his brother in law. He said there is a 1996 Ram 2500 5.9/47re? truck that has a trashed interior and is sitting, and he said if I want I can make a trip up there with a car trailer and go get it since I might need parts for my truck. If that's the case I'll just run the automatic since it's a 4x4 truck and I just said above that it is most definitely getting 4x4. Then I can also run a p-pump instead of a VE which I like since I know this truck will definitely not be stock in the future. I still probably will go through and rebuild a cummins block just so I know it's all good and I'll never have to deal with it again (hopefully).

State of Jefferson would have been cool, but most of the population in Lassen County is made of CDCR prison guards who wanted to keep their six digit income so they didn't vote for it.
who has to check to make sure the engine is correct? you could throw a big block in place of a 4cy and the ladys at the bmv wouldnt even know here.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
who has to check to make sure the engine is correct? you could throw a big block in place of a 4cy and the ladys at the bmv wouldnt even know here.
Dunno about California...but here in Texas when smog check started hitting our larger counties, the ******* at the inspection place actually had a huge binder to look through that had PICTURES of different things he was supposed to look at on the visual part of the emissions check - and failed me for a missing flex hose from the exhaust manifold up to the air cleaner, on a bone stock 1994 Suburban 5.7 TBI. Grandpa truck down to the skinny whitewalls and stock muffler, had just bought it and hadn't even pimped it out yet. Failed because that little $5 flex was missing and he had a binder with pictures told him it had to be there..

Richard

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno about California...but here in Texas when smog check started hitting our larger counties, the ******* at the inspection place actually had a huge binder to look through that had PICTURES of different things he was supposed to look at on the visual part of the emissions check - and failed me for a missing flex hose from the exhaust manifold up to the air cleaner, on a bone stock 1994 Suburban 5.7 TBI. Grandpa truck down to the skinny whitewalls and stock muffler, had just bought it and hadn't even pimped it out yet. Failed because that little $5 flex was missing and he had a binder with pictures told him it had to be there..

Richard
That's some BS right there.
You must be registered for see images attach

I am glad we don't have any of that nonsense here in MT.

You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently you get to see this flag twice.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Wow, after reading the last two pages of this post I sure am glad to live in Canada. No emissions testing and here on the East coast I can get away with major modifications such as exhaust, engine and lift.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah and I'm not trying to be Mr. Super Downer on all this crap but on the other hand I hate to see someone spend a lot of time and effort on a vehicle and end up with something that the state screws them on one way or another. Won't pass emissions, won't pass an inspection, or worst of all - is impounded/confiscated and they go to f'in jail for a felony for messing with the VIN.

This stuff happens. Maybe not to everyone that gets a little shady, but it does happen.

Richard

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here's how I've heard it, big block has to be replace with big block unless a diesel came stock in type of truck, same with small blocks but who knows with this new law, also if the guys in the bay u kno area u kno they're more strict. Best way to find out wat u can do it call a referee and talk to them, especially when they keep passing all these new laws. Still sucks either way. Mayb register in Nv

Side note lassen county was on board, from what ive asked around it's shasta county that denied it since all the money they get from the state, like ab109 where we up here are getting all the felons from down south and the city gets paid for taking them, then they commit crimes all over agian. Idk if u guys deal with that over there and the huge water ordeal, lots of unhappy ppl that gov Jerry Brown wants to build a canal basically across the state so so cal can get the water from up here