1995 K2500 GMC Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, this truck has a lot of life left. I love hearing high mileage stories. Gives me even more confidence in the truck. I finally checked the code yesterday and it is what the PO told me...Idle Air Control Valve. I ordered one when I ordered the light stuff and thermostat. I don't notice it running bad because of it, but maybe it is and I just don't know it. My last two fill-ups netted me 11.5 and 12 mpg hand calced. I am very happy with that. Man this thing does cruise nice at 80 for sure! I am very happy with it so far.
You're on the right track to make your Burb awesome! You'll love how it tows if you ever do.There's no way I'll ever get rid of it.BTW,wifey drives a '99 GMC K1500 with 236,*** miles and it runs great as well,she loves it and will never sell it.Of course maintenance is key to longevity.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run Spyder glass headlights, factory replacement bulbs, HD harness with the 4hi mod, and my lights are amazing.

There is a member here who makes harnesses, you can find it in the classified section. I purchased this one, and added the diode for the 4hi mod:

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/9005-9006-headlight-relay-kits/

The basics of it are removing the headlight switch from carrying the power to the headlights. The harness puts the high beam/low beam setup on relays and draws power direct from the battery. The 4hi mod involves using the high beam trigger to bring the low beams on as well.
I'll definitely put it on the priority list! Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the "auxiliary idle air control valve"? My code 36 is for that, while code 35 says IAC. I only found one valve through my research. I am wondering if it is just weird wording and there isn't a second one. I have an IAC on order, so it will get replaced.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're on the right track to make your Burb awesome! You'll love how it tows if you ever do.There's no way I'll ever get rid of it.BTW,wifey drives a '99 GMC K1500 with 236,*** miles and it runs great as well,she loves it and will never sell it. Of course maintenance is key to longevity.
Yes sir! I did an oil change to 15w-40 diesel oil yesterday. After a ton of research and questions, these older iron BBs seem to do well on them. I also only have to keep one oil on hand for both trucks, not two. It seems to like it a bunch. I will get an analysis done just to get a baseline after this oil run at 5k miles. I love this truck. I know it will serve me well.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I change the oil in both Burbs about every 3,000 miles and use Castrol GTX 10w-30,they seem to like the Castrol.Funny note... took me almost a year to amass the 3,000 miles on my Burb to change the oil,when we went to Seattle last summer I changed the oil before and after on that trip,burned one quart.I don't baby it but don't abuse it either.I take it up into the hills around here and shall we say have fun with it....

A little video for your enjoyment...fun at the end
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

grampadirt

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the "auxiliary idle air control valve"? My code 36 is for that, while code 35 says IAC. I only found one valve through my research. I am wondering if it is just weird wording and there isn't a second one. I have an IAC on order, so it will get replaced.
There's only one as far as I can see,I replaced mine with a Delphi part.I can find the p/n if you need it.I kept all of my receipts for the 14 years I've owned it and have a substantial stack.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's only one as far as I can see,I replaced mine with a Delphi part.I can find the p/n if you need it.I kept all of my receipts for the 14 years I've owned it and have a substantial stack.
I've got one on order. Thank you though! I am going to redo all the vacuum lines and PCV for good measure. That way I'll know what I have. I also have a decent oil leak from the driver side rear valve cover (best I can tell). I am going to replace both gaskets there as well. I need to go through it front to back like I do all of my vehicles that I purchase used....just need a day and better weather. It's in great shape. Just needs some TLC in the deeper maint area. Most people think oil changes are maintenance, and they are, but there is more to it.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty then....changed my thermostat yesterday to a 180* to see how it does. It was bugging me that 215-220 was the normal cruising temp. I know some may think 180 is too cool, but here in Texas with the heat we have, I am liking it. The needle sits about 2 marks below the 210 line and that is fine with me. It doesn't smell as gassy either. Odd. I have a 195* as well, so I can change it out if need be. Anyways, what I did discover is 3 broken vacuum lines. One for the evap canister, and two that go to the TBI. I am going to do some searching this morning on the interwebs and se if there are direct replacements so I don't have to rig it. I think my 36 code is from those lines and maybe not the IAC itself. I'll report back with my findings. If anyone knows of a good source for those lines, please let me know. I have put 1000 miles on her so far. Most of that was driving back from Colorado Springs, but at this point, the average mpg is 11.2. I'll take it. very happy with this truck. Now to egt it maintained up to speed and do some little things like cluster lights, new stepper motor for the oil pressure gauge, a good steam cleaning, and other stuff. I usually remove seats and carpet and clean that way, but this truck just doesn't need it, so I figured I would put the Bissel steam cleaner to use and see what kind of results I get.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I change the oil in both Burbs about every 3,000 miles and use Castrol GTX 10w-30,they seem to like the Castrol.Funny note... took me almost a year to amass the 3,000 miles on my Burb to change the oil,when we went to Seattle last summer I changed the oil before and after on that trip,burned one quart.I don't baby it but don't abuse it either.I take it up into the hills around here and shall we say have fun with it....

A little video for your enjoyment...fun at the end
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Man I love this Suburban, makes me miss having one