Hello......where do I start. Hello my name is...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragon30073

Reaction score
Shane.
I don't want to bore people with a long post, however I feel it can't be avoided. Bare with me?

I purchased (see signature) a 1995 Suburban K2500 (insert sub-model here) 4x4 7.4 TBI with 253,000 a year ago. When I got her, I could tell she was not maintained well towards the end of the previous owner(s) ownership. She had her fits in the beginning but I was slowly working them out, thanks to this great forum.

However, I come with sadness today. As this is my first time interacting with the forums, I have come for knowledge with what I am facing.

Short story? Yet? Haha. Anyway, wife's car got side swiped a couple of weeks ago and the Burb isn't my daily. It's for those days when it rains in the desert, or snows, as I can't ride my motorcycle. So, the wife needed the Burb which is fine because I have worked some kinks out (upper ctrl arm, lower ctrl arm bushings and ball joints, heater core, shocks, all steering components minus gear box and that one thing on the passenger side frame rail, zip ties.....zip ties for all vacuum lines, oooooh tyranny solenoids with manifold cause she went into limp mode.....a lot, etc.)...well, the Burb had an oil leak(drip?) somewhere cause I found the engine degreaser too late. The day she went farther than a 10 min drive the Burb wouldn't start. 12 hours later I'm in front of the mall at 11pm grinding a 3/8 ext to fit sqaure plugs for the oil adapter. Yep, you guessed it, she (the Burb) blew a total of 6 qts out. Is it short yet?
New adapter oring, 6 qts of oil later she was on the road back home. Next day, the ticking. Next day pulled valve covers, all fine. Couple days later (yesterday) dropped oil pan. (That Took Me Too Dam Long!!!!! 11 hours!!!!!) Today, found play on connecting rod #1 and #3. So much that a new standard bearing at torque would not squish the plastigage. So much so that connecting rod #1 would fit a .04 inch feeler gauge with little resistance between bearing and crank (obviously flat vs curved but I figured it's beyond saving at this point so I want to know).

The pan is a heavy 1/8 grayish thickness at the bottom with gold sprinkles. I hope you enjoyed my short? introduction. Now to the question?

At this point motor is toasty and I'm on a budget of the lower middle class disappearing. So I feel my only option is a new motor. What's the budget friendly route? What do I want? Better mpg? Yea right with this wind blocker good luck unless you've got $$$$ but then buy something else Make it powerful? Sure, as long as I don't nuke the mpg it would get on a good day with the wind behind me and downhill. Again, $$. And let's not forget the 4L80E with 253k of neglect. (Insert grenading trans). Other than that I'm not sure. That's why I'm here. And man, I will be awfully embarrassed if I posted this in the wrong spot.

Short right? Hello, my name is Shane. I am happy to be a part of the community.

Thank you ^_^

Attachments

• 20231124_231702.jpg
    20231124_231702.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231125_004641.jpg
    20231125_004641.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231125_210200.jpg
    20231125_210200.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231125_210809.jpg
    20231125_210809.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231129_101606.jpg
    20231129_101606.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Xombi

Reaction score
The first step is to establish a budget, add 20 percent to the estimated costs, and fifty percent to the time.

A brutally honest assessment of if you can swing the project given the scope and cost of it. Map it out to the finest detail. Will the household be in agreement?

People on the forum have different experiences with different rebuilding solutions.

There is a reason LS swaps are popular. Best of Luck . Xombi

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it gave it's all. It appears it ran just long enough to start enlarging bearing clearance. A filled bearing oil passage.
LS swap is nice but my guess it would be higher install cost. It's not just drop in, wiring, ECM , shakedown bugs to work out. Whereas rebuilding your engine. Do you know the condition of heads ? Good shape, good valves, light surfacing and a short block? Or a long block. Evaluate what your engine needs, that will determine what choices you have.
Good luck! :waytogo:

dragon30073

Reaction score
The first step is to establish a budget, add 20 percent to the estimated costs, and fifty percent to the time.

A brutally honest assessment of if you can swing the project given the scope and cost of it. Map it out to the finest detail. Will the household be in agreement?

People on the forum have different experiences with different rebuilding solutions.

There is a reason LS swaps are popular. Best of Luck . Xombi
As far as budget goes, a new motor is roughly 2,500 + an extra 1,000 for hoses power steering pump, steering gearbox etc. + 20% is $4,200. As for time, I agree on the add 50% I usually double what people tell me it took them lol. It seems to be spot on. Thank you for the luck I'll need it.

dragon30073

Reaction score
Yeah, it gave it's all. It appears it ran just long enough to start enlarging bearing clearance. A filled bearing oil passage.
LS swap is nice but my guess it would be higher install cost. It's not just drop in, wiring, ECM , shakedown bugs to work out. Whereas rebuilding your engine. Do you know the condition of heads ? Good shape, good valves, light surfacing and a short block? Or a long block. Evaluate what your engine needs, that will determine what choices you have.
Good luck! :waytogo:
Yes she did. The filled oil passage surprised me and I'm not 100% that was when it lost oil, I feel that may have started prior to my ownership but I am not sure. Unsure condition of the rest of the block to be honest. I figured with the amount of metal that went through the block that trying to save this block might be more of a headache than what it's worth....? Maybe? If it's a new block (engine) I was wondering with that $4,200 budget in mind what the options might be. I know technology has changed over the 28 years but the 454 is tried and true lol.
Thank you for the luck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the budget friendly route?
Budget friendly? Get a cheap crankshaft and slap in a fresh set of bearings. If you need a running vehicle ASAP, this is the way to go.

Less budget friendly, but far more recommended, is to actually rebuild the engine. Project/budget creep is a real threat.

dragon30073

Reaction score
Budget friendly? Get a cheap crankshaft and slap in a fresh set of bearings. If you need a running vehicle ASAP, this is the way to go.

Less budget friendly, but far more recommended, is to actually rebuild the engine. Project/budget creep is a real threat.
You know, that may be a great idea. I am concerned that the efficiency of the block is pretty low because I was getting 8.33 mpg. Please take that number with a grain of salt as I have recently learned through this forum how to be more accurate with those numbers. But what makes me believe this is that, was when I had the connecting rods disconnected, I felt like I could push the rod sideways and hear more air coming past the rings. To be fair they are supposed work straight so me kicking it off kilter may cause that anyway.
We are no longer in a ASAP situation as the wife got a rental finally so th burden has been released from my shoulders. But I'm not wanting to dilly dally too long either.
For rebuilding the engine I feel like the shipping of the parts are gonna cost a lot. I mean if I rebuild it I'm supposed to have things cleaned up and what not that only a machine shop can do. Right?
BTW I laughed at the project/budget creep. That is some truth right there!!
Edit: can you change a crank while motor is in vehicle upside down?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you shouldn't be able to (ock the piston sideways. What are your chances of finding a running junkyard big block? You're looking at $4k for a crate short block.

Stupid language filter.