Hello......where do I start. Hello my name is...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragon30073

Reaction score
Yeah, you shouldn't be able to (ock the piston sideways. What are your chances of finding a running junkyard big block? You're looking at $4k for a crate short block.

Stupid language filter.
Haha that's funny. Well they both could be (ocked either way. I guess when they became free of thr cranks binding tolerances they just went to town and had the time of their lives lol. All the way to the end too!!!
I'm really going back and forth on junkyard/marketplace/pulled block but I feel I run the risk of having the same issue of something not well taken care of.
Maybe it's the point of a running motor and going through it? But how deep? To what extent? Maybe I should just do it with my block?

dragon30073

Reaction score

dragon30073

Reaction score
So I am going to call some machine shops and see the cost to go through the lower block and the heads with no components in it. I'm sure they will be able to tell me if things need to be machined or what not and be able to give me specs so I can get the right size parts. Because with the play those 2 pistons had in the cylinders probably means some material will need to be taken out so I would assume larger pistons. Speaking of pistons, there are like 48 to pick from. I have no idea what to even begin looking for.

dragon30073

Reaction score
So yes I only called one shop so far but I felt the numbers were fair. Please bare in mind this is a broad range due to the fact the shop just won't know until block and heads are in hand. Obviously I would need to bring it all bare to them. They said before I buy anything they will spec everything and see what needs to be replaced. He asked if our cam tappets....? are flat or roller and I wasn't sure to be honest. Numbers:
$150 - cleaning and inspection of both block and heads.
$750-$1,350 - to mill, (no port and polish for heads), bore, cracks?, etc.

Edit: to be honest, I get excited thinking of rebuilding an engine. I have always dreamed of it. I just get this feeling this isn't the right time. The timing is off because it isn't on my time. That's why I think I haven't let off the long block crate idea.....

Last edited:

Xombi

Reaction score
If you have found your oil pan full of metal specks and shavings you have them distributed throughout the block.
When building an engine cleanliness is more important than godliness. First a block and all oil passages are cleaned and blown out. You may have eaten cam bearings, lifter bores, timing chain and sprockets.
A cheap crank solution is spitting in the wind, will break your heart, and leave you in a worse place.
Your fresh oil pump is going to be pumping abrasives throughout your block.
You don't know if your rods need to be resized or re bored.
Poorer and still dead in the water.
A cheap source of big blocks are motor homes. Rarely do they have 100k and show up at auction all the time. For less than a grand.
Check tow yards for them too.

dragon30073

Reaction score
If you have found your oil pan full of metal specks and shavings you have them distributed throughout the block.
When building an engine cleanliness is more important than godliness. You may have eaten cam bearings, lifter bores, timing chain and sprockets.
Your fresh oil pump is going to be pumping abrasives throughout your block.
You don't know if your rods need to be resized or re bored.
A cheap crank solution is spitting in the wind, will break your heart, and leave you in a worse place. Poorer and still dead in the water.
A cheap source of big blocks are motor homes. Rarely do they have 100k and show up at auction all the time. For less than a grand.
Check tow yards for them too.
That's what I was thinking. Like sandblasting everywhere oil runs and then grinding everything else away. Did not think of motor homes, my issue I was seeing was high mileage engines. Was thinking it may put me back right were I am. I will start looking ^_^.
Anyone have a recommendation of intake manifold? I ask because......I took that cast one off once.....and never want to do it again.

Thanks Again!

dragon30073

Reaction score
Hehe, well I have been reading, reading, eyes bleeding, reading trying to soak in information and realize there is quite a bit of LS involved things. I was like let me read more into this. Honestly didn't want to ask because someone had already said it is not budget friendly but what can I say? I am sucker for knowledge. So I searched our great forums and came across something trans related, it had a link, went through steps and the total was $1k. Yea......such a small part to a very large project. I swear so many of you all make this stuff look easy! Ok, back to searching like for like......

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay! More pictures!
Greetings Shane,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum. There's a lot of hard-won hands-on
experience in here, so if you are a sucker for knowledge you've come to the
right place. :0)

You've already gotten a lot of good guidance surrounding the 3 main paths
from here to getting your truck back in service. (1-Rebuild what you've got, 2-LS swap it,
3-Find a previously-enjoyed 454 & swap that in...btw, I liked @Xombi 's idea about the
motorhomes -- I recently did some electrical work on a late '90s motorhome with a 454 in it,
very low miles on the odo, and it ran so smooth, quiet, & was obviously well cared for.)

Anyway, I thought I'd try to answer a couple of questions that you had posted earlier.

* Chevy V8 cylinder numbering scheme, and then which 2 share the front crank throw:

Different manufacturers use different numbering methods, but in just about all V8s the #1
cylinder is on the front of the 'most forward' cylinder bank. It's subtle & easy to overlook,
but on the BBC the driver's side cylinder bank is the width of a connecting rod closer
to the radiator than the passenger side.

Therefore, on the SBC, BBC, & LS motors the 1st cylinder on the driver's side is #1. And then
(unlike F*rd) Chevy used the street-style numbering scheme -- odd on one side, even
on the other.

Pulling this all together, you end up with the following:

Passenger side
* 2 - 4 - 6 - 8*
*1 - 3 - 5 - 7 *
Driver's side

(Note: Refer to the attached photo for details.)

Given all this, the front crankshaft throw photos you shared with
us have the #1 & #2 connecting rods showing.

* Side to side (front to back) 'play' on the connecting rods:

In order to allow the crankshaft to move a few thousandths of an inch
front to back during normal operation, and also to allow the connecting
rod pair to share the common crank throw, the wrist pin is clinched by
the small end of the connecting rod, but at the same time the wrist pin
can move freely side to side a small amount from the nominal center of
the piston. (Apologies for the run-on sentence. :0)

This is something that takes an hour to explain via the written word, but
makes perfect sense if you have a piston/wrist pin/rod assembly in your
hands. Note: Most people don't realize that when they depress the clutch
pedal on a stick shift vehicle, they are actually trying to force the crankshaft
out the front of the engine by however many pounds worth of clutch spring
in the pressure plate. (!)

With a healthy thrust bearing (vertical part of the rear main bearing) the
crank is only allowed to move ~.006" front to back. As you can see, if we made
the wrist pin setup so that it was always/only in the exact center of the piston,
then this front to rear crankshaft movement would transfer large side forces into
the piston/cylinder wall area. Yikes!

It's kind of a long explanation, but it's possible that the sideways connecting
rod (wrist pin) movement you observed is a feature, not a fault. Wish I wasn't
doing this remotely, for I could show you all this in less time than I can describe
it with words. :)

* FOD inside the engine from the failed front rod bearings:

FOD = Foreign Object Damage. Metal shavings inside a modern close-tolerance
engine is bad juju. However, IF the rod bearing issue was caught right away
(ie: unexplained lower oil pressure observed and engine immediately shut down)
then when you drag a magnet through the mud on the bottom of the oil pan
and none of the mud is attracted to the magnet, then only the (softer) rod
bearing material has been worn off/deposited inside the engine.

Let's say in this best-case rod bearing failure scenario that the crankshaft surfaces
still look good/measure within tolerances. In this case, a betting mechanic might get
away with just a quick polish with 600 grit sandpaper and new bearings. A slighty
more conservative approach would be a new crank & bearings, but still leaving the
rest as-is. Maybe not the most prudent way to go for an ambulance engine, but
plenty OK for an old plow truck that never leaves the Ponderosa?

On the other hand, the photos you shared clearly show that the engine was run
long enough after the loss of oil pressure that in addition to the rod bearings the
crankshaft surface is also ground away. The shavings from the crank are both ferrous
& hard, and they will definitely be attracted to a magnet.

In this case, all that hardened metal has got to be completely cleaned out of the
engine. And every single part inside will need to be inspected from the "damaged until
proven good" perspective. Some might argue that the oil filter will have kept all that
FOD out of the inside of your hydraulic lifters, timing chain, rocker arms, wrist pins,
cylinder walls, etc...but this never happens to me, I always find that all these parts
are toast. :-(

Don't get me wrong, it can be fixed, but it will require a complete do-over.

* Rebuilding vs a crate motor (same as original or newer LS)

I could argue either side of this depending upon the day, how motivated I felt,
and how much I have set aside in my rainy day fund.

Lots and lots of car guys vote with their wallets for a crate motor, and usually
use 'the warranty' to help justify why they did it. Elsewhere, @Schurkey
gave a convincing & factual detailed explanation of all the different ways that 'the warranty'
can be made worthless. (Basically, you are at the mercy of the folks on the other end
of the phone.)

On the other hand, there are a lot of very happy crate motor owners out there. This
comes down to just how lucky do you feel with service after the sale? :0)

I definitely fall into the 'rebuild what was in there' camp. No doubt that there are as many
opinions about rebuilding engines as there are people in this forum. And I don't think that
I am going to change any minds, but I will share this truism about rebuilding an engine.

*** I am only as good an engine builder (assembler) as my machinist is. ***

My first few engines were OK, but each had it's strengths & weaknesses. But the more
I built (and importantly, the more I researched engine blueprinting) the more I realized that a
great machinist allowed to 'get it right' based upon his years of experience = the engine
lasting longer, running smoother, and being something to look forward to driving with a keen
ear listening to the motor music in the engine bay...instead of constantly listening for and trying to
figure out where the pinging/slapping/knocking/tapping/rapping sounds are coming from.
:-(

I will admit to being pretty clean & careful while assembling any engine, but the world is just
that much better when I've had a crackerjack machinist involved during all the heavy lifting
prior to the assembly session(s).

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, there's an old-school father & son machine shop
somewhere out in CO that make these zen-like videos of remachining engine parts back to
new specification. The Dad has been doing this for 40+ years, and his son is coming up to
speed on all this...and is putting up well-edited videos for our viewing pleasure.

If you are interested in how a wounded crankshaft like yours would be restored to a new,
fully functional condition, then this is some destination watching for sure:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bottom line, you know how foodies have 'destination restaurants' where they won't hesitate
to travel significant distances in order to enjoy the cuisine? I'm that way when it comes to
machinists. If all the local dudes are either too busy / too disinterested / too precious when
it comes to the engine rework I need, then I'd much rather take it to the old perfectionist
Merlin-type out in the country with older well-oiled machinery who takes the most pride in his
work of all.

All of the above is just food for thought. And given your comments about wanting to learn
more/possibly building an engine someday, I thought I'd stir the pot a little. :)

Me? I'd try to find one of those affordable motorhome 454s, throw that in, get the truck running,
view this as a semi-temporary solution...buy an engine stand, put the wounded 454 on it...and
then be able to build it/learn it without all kinds of pressure to rush through it in order to get the
truck back online. Will all this cost money? Yes. But so does any kind of education (formal or otherwise)
that will give you the real-world ability to fix similar issues down the road for the best bang/buck ratio. (!)

And If you do it right, the sense of accomplishment while driving around in something propelled by
a powerplant that *you* built is unsurpassed.

Well, at least in my world. Your mileage may vary. :0)

Best of luck, and keep sending us updates -- you have a guaranteed audience, especially with
those pics! And if you hit a snag, there's several folks in here who've already hit that same
snag and figured out a fix for that...

Attachments

• BBC bank stagger (marked up) -- L71 69 Corvette 427LS6 70 Chevelle 454 Engine Block GM #3963512.jpg
    BBC bank stagger (marked up) -- L71 69 Corvette 427LS6 70 Chevelle 454 Engine Block GM #3963512.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, there's an old-school father & son machine shop
somewhere out in CO that make these zen-like videos of remachining engine parts back to
new specification. The Dad has been doing this for 40+ years, and his son is coming up to
speed on all this...and is putting up well-edited videos for our viewing pleasure.

If you are interested in how a wounded crankshaft like yours would be restored to a new,
fully functional condition, then this is some destination watching for sure:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks for posting that video! I found it to be worth watching the whole thing. As a result, I am now a much more informed consumer of machine shop crankshaft work!