1994 Z71 silverado Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi am currently rebuilding a older 350 motor to replace the bad 350 currently in the truck. at first i was thinking of keeping the TBI, but i am currently looking at running a carb also. I thought the the 94 silverados came with the 4l60E. Well mine has 2 cables running off the throttle body one for throttle other for Kickdown. So that means that i have the 4L60 Correct? and should be able to run a carb no problem. i thought they started using the computer controlled 4L60E in 93?! Can somebody shed some light on this?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a 4L60E. Your cables are for throttle and cruise control. The older 700r4 would've had a 3rd cable known as the tv or throttle valve cable.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK that clear things up for me. what would i have to do in order to run a carb with this transmission? or is it alot easier to build my motor around keeping the TBI. im just trying to figure out what cam to use so im making sure i have all my options covered

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are aftermarket controllers that you can use to control it. To me the best option would be keep with the OE set up for injection. I know there isnt as many company's that have a reliable reputation on burning tbi chips out there so tuning on you new engine would be a little more difficult. But in my opinion tbi is a lot less hassle then carb set ups. pretty much once its set up your done.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i really want to keep the tbi myself, but i am changing quite a few things and not sure what to do with it in terms of the computer. this is a budget build i am using swap meet parts and extra parts i have got over the years for my nova. my real concern is building a nice motor and it running like garbage after being built, i am doing all the research i can, and so far people here have been very helpful. i will be making a post in the engine section later on with my engine questions.

as far as a controller goes is there one that you guys recommend over another?

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Behind the TBI engines they used the 400 trans and I think a 700 R.no computer 700R I know in 1996 they went to the computer engine.mind is the 350 R vortec.and the 4L60E

Electronic.with computer.if you have that.there should be a computer box under the hood.on the fender well.

If I remember right.i think your column
Would be 123D with a circle.4L60E is a four speed.trans.

I'm thinking 700R4 would be different on the column.700R4 is a better trans.

4L60E has those bad parts.like the sunshields that strip and crack and bust.they have a beast sunshields.to replace that part.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Behind the TBI engines they used the 400 trans and I think a 700 R.no computer 700R I know in 1996 they went to the computer engine.mind is the 350 R vortec.and the 4L60E

93 or 94 was the first year of the 4l60e. My 94 had a 60e and was marked 1,2,D and D with a circle around it. If I remember right the 454 ss trucks used a th400.