1994 5.7 factory manifolds or shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP is in CA so rust won't be a concern for him. Most any bolt in shorty header should be good for some sort of gain (even if that's not what you're going for), it's the LS motors that have better manifolds factory. But if you can add an aftermarket y as well, the gains will be more substantial as previously stated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards a set of dorman manifolds
Dorman manifolds made in China will require rework before installation.

Dorman manifolds made in Viet Nam are even worse, and should be returned to where you bought them from.

I've never seen a Dorman manifold that could be installed "out of the box". At MINIMUM, you'll be checking the exhaust passages for iron boogers--casting flaws where iron escaped the mold and is hanging out into the exhaust stream--and grind them out when found. THEN put a straightedge across the gasket surface where it bolts to the head to see if it's even close to straight and smooth. Every one I've seen needs a trip to the machine shop to be planed. They've all been warped, most of 'em have rough machining of the sort that a proper machine shop wouldn't let out the door.

My machinist says he doesn't know how to plane a surface and leave the surface that rough. His equipment couldn't do that poor of a job. As for the warpage, I think Dorman's supplier machines the manifolds before they've cooled and "settled", so they're probably flat when they come off the manufacturer's grinder...but subsequently warp after they've been planed while they're "in shipment".

After rework, THEN you can install 'em.

Wild Guess with no evidence: You can buy other aftermarket exhaust manifolds, but they're all cast and machined by the same incompetent company, they'll all need rework.

Genuine GM replacement manifolds may--or may not--be better.

Last edited:

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM manifolds are discontinued.
I recently discovered a crack on one of my manifolds and had the same dilemma. Didn't trust at all the Dorman manifold. Didn't want some cheap headers that need to remove the paint and re-paint. Used GM manifolds could well be cracked too.

I ended up ordering these Gibsons even there are no gains.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

indexcow

Reaction score
Ended up going with Dorman manifolds from Amazon.

Install was very smooth, only hang up was the spring and nut for the flange. It seems the spring got mashed to hell at 25 foot pounds.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach