1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well how about a white seat? sure. done out of necessity.... I dont want to be sitting on a rusty seat getting rust all over my pants. this was a quick wire brush, wipe down and spray job. done n done. no I did not do the bottom just the top and the edge.

I used a flat white rust paint. hopefully its warm enough for paint to dry. the sun was shinning LMAO.

it's going to need another coat as surprisingly the super old orange paint is bleeding through.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Those studs look plenty beefy for some light duty trailer parking work and for your front mounted work bench, lol.

I was told by an old farmer that you dont know how to backup trailers unless you can pull up in front of a single wide barn door hauling two full hay wagons back-to-back with a narrow front Johnny-Popper (no power steering) and spin both of those wagons 90 degrees into the barn while steering one handed and operating the clutch with the other!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Me either, I have a 1939 Johnny popper with the hand clutch and I can barely maneuver that thing empty going forward until the clutch locks in and I can use both hands to steer. And reverse is super fast on that tractor too! Its about as fast in reverse with the clutch locked as 3rd gear is going forward! No thanks, I'll keep my dually with the front hitch, lol.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Well I stayed up late last night and drilled the holes in the receiver. It mounted up perfectly this morning, oh man is that ever satisfying when it just fits perfectly.

heres the carrier I want to use, I have 2 but the other, although brand new and with a higher weight rating is a flimsy POS but is a 2". the one I will probably use is all welded but a 1" receiver so I have a little bit more fab work to do. but its going to be perfect for what I need.

I'm also going to eventually mount a tool box on top of the front receiver. something small but waterproof. the white seat painting in questionable temperatures? worked out great and the orange did not end up bleeding through once it dried.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That engine reminds me of a Ford Model A flathead 4 banger. Probably not too different; I recall hearing how Henry designed his cars to be easily serviced like a tractor, so his rural customers could work on it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
All right I moved the tractor back towards the shop to make it a bit easier to work on and pulled the hood off. I'm going to tackle the last hurdle and clean the tank and replace the fuel line.

What is the jar looking thing in front of the radiator, with the radiator hose going to it? I'm a city kid so I haven't seen very many old tractors LOL!

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Hey there HWB, that canister on the front is an oil bath, air cleaner. part of the canister is filled with oil, the same that's used in the crank case, air is sucked through the oil, up through some sort of filter media then is cleaned and off to the carb.

its kind of just like how a water bong works. lol. the radiator hose connected to it is indeed a gates flexible radiator hose. there is an internal metal spring keeping it from collapsing and I guess to also retain shape. the tractor was missing the intake pipe from the air cleaner to the carburetor. this was the best I could come up with as a solution. this tractor is 65 years old and there is almost no hope finding a part like that.

this tractor had parts stripped off of it and this is mainly what I'm fixing.

I got the fuel tank cleaned out and ready to reassemble. the stainless steel brake line I was going to use is the wrong threads. so I might visit a parts store and see what I can piece together. otherwise I'm going to possible use a rubber fuel line, I found 1 barb with the proper fitting to connect to the carb or tank but I need another one. it's a tapered thread, I have no idea what it may be called.

the shut off valve on the tank works so I dont really need another shut off valve.

Iv been struggling with the damn cork gasket in the glass fuel separator.... I need some cork or a proper gas rubber gasket. I did get it sealed up though.

I went through most of the wiring, figured what's what. removed a bunch that was for lighting. there was/is a bunch of fried wires. this is probably because the tractor started as a 6Volt positively grounded electrical system and was converted to a 12V negatively grounded system and both battery wires are black. I went through and red taped up every positive wire.

I tested every wire and was suprised they are in tack but some were burnt and are crispy. theres a few wires that need to be replaced and a lighting circuit made, I have a relay harness for fog lights so I may just use it.

I cant really get to these wires with the tank in place so fixing these wires is next on the list.

tomorrow is another day.

Last edited: