1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have been on there site many times trying to figure shìt out, shipping now a days is extremely cost prohibitive, it all started when the tariffs were imposed on steel. prior to that I bought stuff all the time from RA and ebay and such. now I have to be extremely careful and really shop around. the cost of shipping from the US to Canada has not went back down. I have not bought a damn thing for my trucks or anything from the US in a.long time... I dont think imposing those tariffs was actually good for business.

I actually watched the price of a gas tank skyrocket that is made in Canada, with American Steel that is then shipped to Rock Auto for retail. my cart was about $300 for the tank, straps, bolts, fuel sending unit, fuel pump and the shipping. the next day it jumped to $800. it was all in shipping! needless to say I did not check out.

look at this price for one $5 fuel line adapter fitting..... $40! yikes. that's not even converted to CAD. LOL!

I just have to take a short drive and theres a napa less than ten mins away. I understand the they also might stock Case parts and maybe they will have an extra 2 inch fuel bowl gasket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-150119_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-150119_Firefox.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Leftover parts from a suburban fuel line would work enough to get it running and moving but generally gravity feed systems need larger lines to keep up due to the lack of fuel pressure.

And yea, local parts stores can get you 95% of the way but Steiner is a lifesaver for odd parts that are specific for each tractor. I just wasn't sure if you had found that resource yet. The carb rebuild kits on Ebay are usually junk.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Man I needed that air intake pipe and If they had it I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I couldnt actually believe some of the parts that they do have though. everything for the 3 point (eagle hitch) system is available, WOW! mine are good though. they have about 50 parts for this particular case 311 tractor and I was very suprised!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks again Rich, I totally understand what you mean with the gravity fed fuel system and it makes absolute sense.

I really appreciate your input, thanks again!

When my wife hears it run for the first time and move.... the budget may increase then. LOL BUT I need a snow plow so....... I might be able to borrow one for the winter but I dont know yet.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking!

I reinstalled the gas tank with the rubber hose and the one barb I have on the tank and tightened it all up. I routed the hose down to the carb and secured it so it cant flop around. theres only about 1" extra hose that I will cut to length once I get the missing fitting. I also have the correct fuel clamps for this rubber hose and it looks good. I'm kind of feeling good that I went with the rubber hose option.

I did not do any wiring but I can do that another day, it wont take long.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I got the rest of the parts... the fitting, 2 rubber gaskets for the "fuel filter/separator," a fuse for the lighting system and fuel.
You must be registered for see images attach

Holy shìt I just spent the most I have ever spent on fuel in my life! It cost me $35 for just shy of a full 5 gallons. Canadian liters prices......

I do not want to put ethanol through this and around here that means Shell, 91 octane top tier fuel. I like shell and its refined locally, there are a couple other local refineries and theres those fuels available as well but I like shell.

Its definitely not the bottom of the barrel that these engines can run on. LOL Whatever low cost fuel was, it was like 40 octane. I do understand that these engines can run on a variety of octane ratings, and even ethanol, they just require the carb tuned for it... 2 screws and are simple as hell to adjust. I understand that the higher the octane the more fuel efficient the tractor will run.

the debate of ethanol vs nonethanol war wages on in the antique tractor community. I think if the tractor sees heavy use ethanol wont hurt it but if it sits for a while than ethanol can absorbe water out of the atmosphere and break down and cause problems.

I havent been buying ethanol in gas cans for years and years allready but within the last couple years fuel regulations changed. I cant find regular fuel without ethanol and have been forced to buy the Supreme. sum beach is it expensive. But I feel it's like preventive maintenance. this tractor will probably only see most of its use during the winter and sit for the rest of the year with very little use.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well I almost forgot about the exhaust.... lol.

I feel much more comfortable with the clearance between the exhaust pipe and the fuel line. theres easily 2 1/2" clearance all the way around.

I think its fuel and battery time! lol.