1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
looks like the fuel line was compression fittings to begin with. hmm I think I'm just going to put the copper line back on but without the shut off valve beside the carb. that way I can bend the fuel line away from the exhaust pipe and get on with starting this sucker up! I can always fix this later. it really only took 5 mins to take the body off and completely remove the fuel tank.

Ya I'm definitely going to fix this later when I can get everything I need as I really want to do this with stainless steel. heres a diagram and with some info on fittings.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
OK cool, I am familiar with oil bath air cleaners. I guess was thrown by the radiator hose, but you gotta use what you can get! Nice to see you are making progress on it!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like the fuel line was compression fittings to begin with.
Yep, and the other end that goes in the carb and the separator bowl is 1/8" NPT. I saw in your earlier post you didn't know what it was but your diagram shows it :waytogo:

Edit: you can pick those up at Lowe's too. They're common fittings.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks man! I have like 500 pages of manual to go through so I'm taking screenshots of the info I'm after and posting it here. I'm finding that the parts number manul has the technical info I couldnt find in the service manual. they do have a complete break down of the exhaust system in the parts manual that clearly shows everything.... I did not think to look there. lol.

I found these 1/8" NPT to 1/4" inverted flare brake line adapters.

Then I could use the stainless steel brake line I have.

I also have some 5/16 steel fuel line. its rusty on the inside though, even though it's new, I have had it since running new fuel lines a long time ago on my 94 Burb. I dont think I want to use it but it is another option.

Can compression fittings work on steel fuel lines? I have read both yes and no. I dont know without any real world experience.

heres a question, can enough fuel flow through a 3/16" brake line compared to a 5/16" fuel line? I'm thinking since there is no pump and its strictly gravity fed that there should not be any problems at all. do you guys have any thought on this?

thanks.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can enough fuel flow through a 3/16" brake line compared to a 5/16" fuel line? I'm thinking since there is no pump and its strictly gravity fed that there should not be any problems at all.
3/16" is between 1/3 and 1/4 surface area of the 5/16" so, maybe? I'd lean more towards OK if it were at least 1/4". You could try the 3/16" and see if it loses power at WOT but, since you're going this far, why not do it right the 1st time and move on? :33:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You would be better off running a rubber hose that is the correct size rather than downsizing that much to brake line.

It really sucks when a tractor starves for fuel, usually your going up a hill hauling a heavy load... the last time that you want to be starved for fuel and on the verge of dying.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys I appreciate it!

Your absolutely right there Peter, I'm always a do it once and be done kind of guy but the budget is small and I'm trying to use the parts I have. but hell a few bucks for a fitting or 2 is no big deal.

I couldn't agree more Rich, where I used to haul hay I had to go down and up through a gully. Yeah I totally wouldnt want to loose power on a hill! that would end badly.

Well I guess I will use the rubber line, I just need to get one more fitting to do so.

I really appreciate your guy's feed back and guidance. I dont have much real world experience with crap like this.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
okay so I have a 1/4" fuel line and 1/8 NPT 1/4" barb fitting. I need one more. If I had the 5/16" fuel line I would use it. this is just left over parts from replacing the fuel tank on the burb.

this should work right? I dont actually have any hills around here.

The glass bowl separator has sealed up! I kind of soaked it in 2 stroke injector oil. Im thinking this kind of oil should at least be safe to do this with.