1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks Rich!

no I have not attempted to start it, just lightly turned it over a couple times. there is absolutely no fuel in it and that's kind of why I'm a bit worried about contamination, mainly in the carb itself since its obviously iron! LOL just look at that patenia. I will absolutely try to fire it as soon as the quick carb cleaner job is done. haha.

are you suggestion that the fuel line set up, although less than ideal, should be fine with the small utility jobs its guna be doing?

it wont ever be working a field but hauling wood and plowing our laneway. maybe hay in the future but not now.

the cooper line seems like it was professionally installed and there are 2 coils under the tank to absorb flex before it runs down to the carb, all of the bends were professionally bent.
You must be registered for see images attach

It does look like it's been on here a very long time. I have just read cooper is bad over and over again. I dont have any experience with copper lines though. I do have 4 of these 5' long stainless brake lines so I thought I would just fix it now. but you know, I could skip it.

Actually I just noticed that there is another fuel valve immediately coming out of the tank where it flows to the glass separator bowl. it's not all that easy to get to but it actually looks like its turned off! wouldnt that be funny if that was why it would not run. nah my FIL said he drained the remaining fuel as it was bad but it surely looks like its closed.

I tend to overbuild things after thinking about it for a very long time. lol. So if I'm over worrying because of my inexperience than please let me know.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks Peter, this is a Utility tractor, they were all gas and there was like 8000 of them made. it's supposed to have the motor entirely covered. this tractor in the orchard model looks really cool with crazy fenders and totally enclosed wheels.

I can understand, hell I have speared my own self off of the riding lawnmower while cutting under our old apple tree at the old place. damn I miss that tree. it was a snow apple and well over 100 years old. it grew wild for a while until I pruned it. I was glad to see that the people who bought that property, didnt cut it down but heavily pruned it and are taking care of it. that old tree kicked my ass a couple times. lol.

I have thought about going up with the exhaust over and over but decided to go down as I'm guna be driving it through the bush and for the same reasons as the orchard tractor kept it the way it was. plus I didn't really want to pull off that block off plate... I dont want to snap those bolts! need a big torch before I get that adventurous. LMAO.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Be sure you run a muffler on that with the under-tractor exhaust as a flame arrestor so you don't light brush on fire, lol.

I have messed with the fuel system on my Farmall H more times than I'd like to admit until I just re-did it completely. Brand new lines, cleaned out the tank, rebuilt the carb, new fuel shutoff valve, etc. I would recommend starting there rather than piecing it together

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
and they even work. haha. I was so worried that they wouldnt work and that they would be absolutely crap but they are good to go..... they are from fleabay.

My FIL modified a flat head screwdriver to fit. I'm like WTF is this....? no no no! you need to be able to shut the damn thing off in an emergency. theres no kill switch just the key.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score

HAHA Rich, I might have to call my bush a swamp.... its flooded as hell right now! this is also why I have not been able to do much with the tractor... too much Damn rain! I may need a swamp buggy! this water should have been long gone in the summer but it was dry all last spring, all summer and then we started to get a shìt tonne of rain towards the end of summer and we're still getting lots of rain. So there is almost no grasses or any small shrubs or anything like that in the bush to ignite. everything drowns and the ground is left barren except of course poison ivy! I wont be driving it through standing crops. and although I would like to see the exhaust up top I dont think I should be worried about it starting a fire. I definitely do have a muffler for it though.

I saw a neighbors field go up in flames and I filmed it. holy crap did it ever go up fast and holy crap did the community ever step up to put it out.... man they were doing wheat when it went up and neighbors came and started plowing the field to contain the fire long before fire trucks made it to put the fire out. crazy!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
hows this for an exhaust? I think I'm guna rock it like this for a little while. it's probably perfectly fine like this, its within the wheel base anyways. LOL I need 4 or 5 feet of pipe to make it to the back.

With those keys I was able to turn the engine over and feel some nice compression coming out of the exhaust. I also put the key on a boat type floating key chain. LOL

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I got some fenders! Complete with lights that probably even work. LOL! there off a JD but they fit perfectly! for the low price of helping a buddy out who has lots of stuff! they were actually off a JD tractor that he uses but is not going to put them back on. they have been off for years and sitting on a pallet outside.

I have to figure out how to mount them but I can probably find some hardware from where I got the fenders. Hes asked me to give him a hand cleaning up and fixing/building/moving some stuff around like a couple old Porsche's, a 59 and a 69 hes had both cars for years and years and they are being restored/rebuilt, again.

I also scored a 2" receiver that somebody modified. well I'm guna mount it to the front of the tractor so I can mount one of those luggage carriers to haul my chainsaw n what not.

hell ya.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Awesome score with the fenders! And those front mount hitches are actually really handy when moving trailers around your property and trying to park them in close-quarters! I have one on my 97 dually and love it!

I laughed when I saw that sick custom exhaust! lol. I would rotate that so it tucks under the floor plate though.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
something like this for the front receiver. I think its going to work out well. I just need to find or buy a big enough drill bit. I have one I just cant find it. lol.

Oh I used to do hay, both small square bales and round 6x6 heavy F'rs. We had enough barn space to park the 4 hay wagons full of hay. but only if you could get them in. LOL backing up a hay wagon requires some skill or it's just damn impossible! I always pushed them in with an old ford tractor that had a front mounted hitch. slick as shìt.

this is going to be mounted quite high but I'm already picturing fabbing up some sort of drop hitch or just straight up buying one. I dont need one right now though but your right Rich a front mounted hitch is incredibly handy. this luggage rack thing will be so high it will be a lot like a work bench. which is perfect!

I can tell by the blue paint that my FIL rammed these "studs" in this front mount but I think they look strong enough to hold up to what I intend to use it for.

I am definitely running the exhaust out back. it had a bend where I couldnt actually place it under the floor. the 90 needs to be bent out a bit or the pipe I eventually use, I'll figure it out for sure. I have a pintle hitch trailer around here that makes bending this exhaust pipe pretty easy. I just left it like this for now.

Last edited: