14b ff and HD 8 lug front diff swap on 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm not set on anything at this point. I don't even know the difference between sf and ff

I'd be willing to look around. With my future plans for the truck I need to find something that can be beefed up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I used to have a good graphic to explain that I'll have to see if I can find it again

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a nutshell, a full floating axle has independent and hub assemblies. This allows the hub to carry the full weight of the vehicle and the axle only transmits power. If you look at the ends of the axle, there are 8 bolts that hold the axle in the hub. This is the stronger of the two.

Semi float rear axles have the wheel hub on the end of the axle so they are one piece. C clips in the carrier hold the axles in place. While still pretty strong, the axle supports some of the vehicle weight, as well as transmits power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I see. Which is easier to work on?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe FF axles are easier because you don't have to pull the diff cover to remove the axles and hubs. I imagine they are pretty similar if you have to get to the ring and pinion.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah I would imagine so too. Sadly the guy doesn't want to part with just the rear end. But he's willing to toss it in with the frond end and tcase for some reason.....

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's probably afraid he won't be able to move the front diff and transfer case unless it's a package deal.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
He's probably afraid he won't be able to move the front diff and transfer case unless it's a package deal.

Exactly, no one wants them then he'll trip over them for years lol.

IMO, a FF is easier to work on also, but either way they are as heavy as a wet sack full of dead hooker's. The LKQ near us has both a 6 and an 8 lug rear.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hmm well let's take a look this week then.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have another semi float and front diff with 4.10's I'm going to rebuild and swap with my axle with 3.42's. Just waiting for the time...