14b ff and HD 8 lug front diff swap on 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Hmm well let's take a look this week then.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't go into work until 5pm most days, I go in at 3 on Friday's. Then I usually have weekends off, although I went into work this Saturday. LKQ is open every day anyway. So shoot me a text whenever you're ready, I haven't strolled through there in awhile. Wednesday or Thursday would be best, since I have a suspicion I'm going to have some meeting's Monday and Tuesday since we have a lot of new product launches coming up.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Keep me posted and I'll be in touch this week. I might be plowing a good bit the next couple days though

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Take a word of advice. It's not worth trying to swap out axles to try and 'beef' up your truck.

Sell it and buy a real 3/4 ton or 1 ton to start.

You get: thicker stronger frame, 4L80E transmission, larger front axle with bigger ring gear, the possibility of obtaining a locker or limited slip for it, and in the 1 ton a beefier transfer case.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Take a word of advice. It's not worth trying to swap out axles to try and 'beef' up your truck.

Sell it and buy a real 3/4 ton or 1 ton to start.

You get: thicker stronger frame, 4L80E transmission, larger front axle with bigger ring gear, the possibility of obtaining a locker or limited slip for it, and in the 1 ton a beefier transfer case.
I disagree with that.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I disagree with that.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Not sure what part you disagree with.

The frame on a 2500 and 3500 is almost twice as heavy gauge as the 1500.

The front diff is larger, as well as larger axles in the front, 8 bolt hubs, different knuckles and control arms as well.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Not sure what part you disagree with.

The frame on a 2500 and 3500 is almost twice as heavy gauge as the 1500.

The front diff is larger, as well as larger axles in the front, 8 bolt hubs, different knuckles and control arms as well.
Don't disagree with any of that

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
My endgame with this truck is essentially this... To give you an idea. It's a four linked rear, Thunderbird 8.8 front with customer RCV front shafts. 16" front travel inside stock fenders although they are trimmed a good bit. I never really "liked" the wide flare fenders like most long travel trucks have.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is also a Tahoe. So it's a half ton frame. I've seen this truck in action. It works very well. As far as engine and trans I'm hardly concerned. I've been plotting a 4bt cummins swap to I'd be sticking a different trans behind it anyways. Frame will be strengthened as I was hoping to build a truck that could get off the ground and I have an electronic tcase at the moment which I'd rather get a stout manual shift to replace.

The build is going to be a process over time. Beginning with a bolt on Six inch IFS lift which will be installed and used in the truck as is until something happens engine or trans wise and I'm forced to change something power and drive train wise. Then I'll probably end up starting the suspension build with four linking the rear. The front will be the most extensive and extreme part of the build.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I recall, don't the SUV's have different frames than the trucks? Or is that just the rear part of the frame for bed and receiver mounting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's got all the half ton IFS parts to it should just be the rear section.