14b ff and HD 8 lug front diff swap on 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 all stock. I saw an adult recently for 14b ff rear axle, front diff, and tcase. My 10 is making some noises I'm not a fan of and the whole setup this guy has is $500. I don't have a clue about swapping axles or gears and he says the rear needs some work.

I wouldn't plan to swap this stuff immediately as I would be getting any repairs needed taken care of before installing anything and I have a ton of questions.
You must be registered for see images attach

1. Is the front diff needed for the front of my truck to be converted to 8 lug? If so is the pig even compatible with the 1/2 ton front diff cross member? Am I looking at needing to convert the entire brake system here? What all am I looking at to get the front to 8 lug?

2. Is the tcase even a necessary item here? I have a 60e. I know all this **** is completely dependent upon what happens with the front end. Might be a matter of conversion u joints, maybe a drive shaft.....

3. The rear axle. The main reason for all this **** in the first place. Any chance I could just make this thing six lug and scrap the rest of the junk I don't want to mess with? I know they had six lug sf axles. If I can't go Six lug then the rest of the parts in this all come in to play. Will all my brake stuff be directly compatible with the ff? I know I will need a conversion u joint for it. Springs should line up width wise being it's from a 95 but will they sit properly on the perches? How difficult would it be (if possible) to put my 10 bolt brake stuff on the ff?

What else might I be over looking?

Thanks in advance. It's just an idea since I'm gonna be looking into lifting the truck in the next couple years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
As far as I've ever seen the only way to successfully do this is either frame swap, or graft on section of 3/4 ton frame up front. I did see somewhere a while back some dude who did this with a section of frame from a 3/4 ton Suburban, but that was on Pirate4x4, but who knows, someone out there knows more than I do,

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear axle should swap over very easily. Major mods are needed to get the larger front diff to work in a 1/2 ton frame. I don't know if its possible to swap just the 8 lug hub assembly over to the 1/2 ton steering knuckles and use the existing front diff and CV shaft?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
A SAS would be less work and a much better outcome. And more than likely cheaper.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Any way I could stay six lug with this stuff?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Maybe get some stance and do adapters from 8 to 6 lug and not have narrower rear track width....

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Since the front diff is obviously too tall an order to do in my situation what about just making the front 8 lug. Knuckle swap?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Maybe get some stance and do adapters from 8 to 6 lug and not have narrower rear track width....

If you're set on a ff this is how I'd go

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any way I could stay six lug with this stuff?

There are 14 bolt semi float 6 lug axles out there, but I hear they are hard to come by. Not as strong as a full float axle but still stronger than your 10 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you're set on a ff this is how I'd go
I'm not set on anything at this point. I don't even know the difference between sf and ff
There are 14 bolt semi float 6 lug axles out there, but I hear they are hard to come by. Not as strong as a full float axle but still stronger than your 10 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be willing to look around. With my future plans for the truck I need to find something that can be beefed up.