14 bolt swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re vent. Can you insert a bolt from the inside through it then improvise a puller using its threads and a spacer and nut on the outside?

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re vent. Can you insert a bolt from the inside through it then improvise a puller using its threads and a spacer and nut on the outside?

There’s no access to it unless you pull the entire gear out. I lucked out with a buddy of mine, he had a welder stashed in the back of his garage so he welded a 1/8” npt nipple I bought on top of the old vent nipple. I should have my driveshaft back today, so all that leaves is finishing the brakes up and a road test.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, she’s in! Local shop installed the u joints for a 50 spot.

Also, I now see why everyone complains about the stock brakes on these trucks. I’ve got new rubber lines all the way around (still stock hard lines, I’ll do that eventually), new front and rear brakes, and I also installed a new master cylinder today. Truck stops wayyyyy better, but the pedal still feels like a wet fart

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the rears are adjusted properly and make sure the brakes are good and bled, all 4 corners. Brake fluid is an overly neglected fluid and makes a noticeable difference in pedal feel.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the rears are adjusted properly and make sure the brakes are good and bled, all 4 corners. Brake fluid is an overly neglected fluid and makes a noticeable difference in pedal feel.

Yup- I adjusted the brakes until they just slightly dragged, and I bled all four corners until I saw no bubbles and the fluid was clean. I went through most of a gallon of OReally brake fluid to do it. Like I said, it stops great now. Just doesn’t have that “firm” feel that newer brakes have.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just doesn’t have that “firm” feel that newer brakes have.
Yeah, with drum brakes their is always going to be a little bit of "spring" in the system, it's just the nature of them.
Sometimes it's a bit hard to visualize , but with drums you're trying to force a small circle, (the shoes,) into a larger circle, (the drums,), and the shoes actually flex under the forces of the hydraulics and the camming action.
In the old days a brake shop would "cam grind" the shoes so that they made full and better contact, but nobody wants to be grinding linings today because of the dangerous dust that is produced.
You do the best you can and call it good.
Also, no matter the efforts and amounts of brake fluid used, the Chevy dealer has always done the best bleeding job, really forcing new fluid thru the whole system under pressure has many benefits instead of endless pedal pumping,, it's money well spent.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My trucks don't have new truck like firm pedals either, you'll never get that. A gallon should do the trick, I usually get away with just a quart. I try to bleed annually too.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, with drum brakes their is always going to be a little bit of "spring" in the system, it's just the nature of them.
Sometimes it's a bit hard to visualize , but with drums you're trying to force a small circle, (the shoes,) into a larger circle, (the drums,), and the shoes actually flex under the forces of the hydraulics and the camming action.
In the old days a brake shop would "cam grind" the shoes so that they made full and better contact, but nobody wants to be grinding linings today because of the dangerous dust that is produced.
You do the best you can and call it good.
Also, no matter the efforts and amounts of brake fluid used, the Chevy dealer has always done the best bleeding job, really forcing new fluid thru the whole system under pressure has many benefits instead of endless pedal pumping,, it's money well spent.

Think I’ll give the dealership a shot, appreciate that tip. I regularly pull a 14 foot trailer, a brake controller is on my list of things to install but I haven’t gotten around to it yet, so I need my truck’s brakes at their utmost efficiency. If nothing else, it’s peace of mind

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want it to stop, do a hydroboost swap. My trucks will lock tires at interstate speeds.

I thought about it. Call me old fashioned but I feel better with vacuum powered brakes over ps pump powered ones. Probably has something to do with the bad luck I’ve had with ps pumps over the years :bs: