12 bolt rear for 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobey

Reaction score
I’m wondering if I can get a 12 bolt rear for my 96C 1500. Am I going to have to adapt a square body rear to my truck or does anybody know where I can possibly find a 12 bolt rear that will bolt into this?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Options are very rare for a direct bolt in. Only 5 lug 10 bolts from 2wd 1500 pickups and SUV's will work. A Suburban might be your best bet, or the aforementioned 454ss is a 5 lug 14 bolt. Best of luck finding one of those...

Of course there is the 2wd 6 lug 2500. But you'll have to upgrade the front rotors to 6 lug. Then get all new 16" wheels & tires.
Or carry 2 spares...

The other option is to find some axle somewhere that's comparable in strength and width. Then cut off the perches, and reweld the right ones on to fit your truck. Get brake shoes/drums, proper wheels for the bolt pattern, etc. But that's likely more expensive than fixing the 10 bolt you already have, huh?

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Options are very rare for a direct bolt in. Only 5 lug 10 bolts from 2wd 1500 pickups and SUV's will work. A Suburban might be your best bet, or the aforementioned 454ss is a 5 lug 14 bolt. Best of luck finding one of those...

Of course there is the 2wd 6 lug 2500. But you'll have to upgrade the front rotors to 6 lug. Then get all new 16" wheels & tires.
Or carry 2 spares...

The other option is to find some axle somewhere that's comparable in strength and width. Then cut off the perches, and reweld the right ones on to fit your truck. Get brake shoes/drums, proper wheels for the bolt pattern, etc. But that's likely more expensive than fixing the 10 bolt you already have, huh?

Or you can have the 14 bolt axles & drums redrilled to 5x5

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or you can have the 14 bolt axles & drums redrilled to 5x5

Alternatively, Dutchman Axle makes replacement 454SS five lug axle shafts that will drop right into the six lug 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater housing from a 2WD truck. SR77 on the PDF chart (second link).

https://dutchmanaxles.com/chevy-truck-replacement-axle-c-clip-single.html

https://dutchmanaxles.com/images/sr-c-clip/SR-CC-Chevy-Truck.pdf

At that point the issue becomes figuring out the brakes, as I believe the mounting flanges are in different spots on the 454SS axle than they are on the standard 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floaters.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "Engines" and into "Axles + Brakes".

FIRST you have to describe why you'd want an obsolete axle that's weaker and more-difficult to install than the common-and-easy "14-bolt" semi-float (9.5" ring gear.)

Jobey

Reaction score
I’m totally fine with a 14 bolt rear. The extra weight and obvious strength would be helpful as everyone knows these trucks are really light in the rear. I didn’t know the 14 bolt was ever offered as a 5 bolt so that seems the obvious choice to me. I’m swapping the 4.3 for a 1970 lt1 with a tuned port injection system on it. I doubt my 10 bolt rear will hold up much longer. I’m also looking for a decent 5 or 6 speed trans that will make spirited driving a bit more fun. I kinda wrecked my synchros in 2nd gear shortly after I got the truck.