10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I'm going to be quite blunt here. In that you know everything and are obviously refusing all advice, why did you bother to post about your situation?
I wanted feed back on if the engine was up to the task of what I want to do. Hoping to hear from others that have a V6 and what they have done with it. But most people didn't read what I want to do to the truck before I get to that point. Just jump to the conclusion it "can" or "can't" do it.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Luckily I'm in AR where they don't really mess with you UNLESS you look like you're overweight.
Only DOT scales I have are ~40 miles south of me and ~10 north of me.
I've read if you have "Not For Hire" on the side of your truck and pass by a scale, you have a 50/50% of getting a ticket versus 100% if you drive into the scale.
They can pull scales out and scale you where ever. You don't necessarily have to go through scales or on a major highway to get red flagged, towed, and the associated fines. Your arrogance is contributing to your ignorance.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
His understanding of these things will soon be fleshed out.
By the time sufficient mods are made to pull a 10k piece of equipment safely, he could'a bought two 3/4 ton trucks.
And not to be blunt, but a V6 NV3500 is definitely not as strong as a good 4l60. And a 4l60 has nowhere near the strength of a 4l80. Just the way it is. Those early V6 NV3500s were a diaster really. The only good 3500s are '94 and up 4x4 units from behind 5.7s. They were OK. And they're nowhere near as strong as a 4500.
The V6 is the only part of the equation that could work.
No 1500 should have 10k behind it. 5k maxes them.
Your hitch will be worth more than the truck.
You're describing a mighty complicated fixer-up.
That said, have at it.
I pulled a 10k trailer behind a K2500 with an 489/NV3500 and 4.10 axles. I did that for two months and decided it was dangerous. Sold it. The truck did pull it, but the weight 'worked' the truck so bad that it was not safe.
And, the clutch would have failed had I persisted. I used low range for tight maneuvering. Saved a lot of clutch. Had NP241 transfer. Very cool. N
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wanted feed back on if the engine was up to the task of what I want to do. Hoping to hear from others that have a V6 and what they have done with it. But most people didn't read what I want to do to the truck before I get to that point. Just jump to the conclusion it "can" or "can't" do it.

From someone who's owned a '97 4.3L C1500 for a long time, you're asking too much of this truck. The 4.3s are great engines but you're not going to like how it behaves with that much extra weight behind it. I just got done carrying a little less than 1000LBs across the state in the bed and even that made a difference climbing hills. My V6 truck has never had a trailer hitch mounted to it. If it's too heavy to tow on a bumper ball, it's heavier than I want to tow with that truck.

The frame and transmission concerns that others have voiced would be even bigger issues in my eyes, though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed my 3500 lb race car on a 2500 lb trailer with a '99 K1500 Suburban. It felt maxed out, and by the rating it was. Towing 10k with a K1500? Nope. Get a smaller trailer and tow your equipment one piece at a time.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've towed 10K+ with my 84 W150 (with an "add a leaf") 4X4 Dodge 360 cu in 4bbl but, that was with a goose neck and a 3" ball mounted ~5" in front of my rear axle which adds weight to the front axle as well. Gives you better control and braking. Both axles on the trailer had electric brakes and were 8 lug 6,000 rated (each). I would never consider hauling that much weight with a rear mounted ball hitch (or pintle mount for that matter) I don't care if it's a 4.3 or a 7.4! That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like the NV3500 was only installed in light, compact trucks (Dakota and S-10) and 1500/Light Duty 2500 full size CK trucks and Dodge Rams. I can never understand the whole "LD" confusion, but I seem to recall those were the 6 lug axles, not the full 2500 8 lug. I have no idea if said 6 lug axle was 10 bolt or 14 bolt?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Towing 10k with a GMT400 V-6 half ton.........seriously?

Everything L31MaxExpress said.........

I grew up pulling trailers with overloaded, underpowered pickups--often live weight. Can it be done? Sure. Will it tear the guts out of the truck? Yep. Is it smart? Good Lord no.