10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So with the most recent addition to my fleet, my 1997 K1500, I am planning on using this as my main tow rig.

The truck came from the factory with a 4.3 Vortec, NV3500, 3.42 gears and it's just the standard 4x4 package. Is it possible to tow 10K, especially with a V6?

Now, the engine I'm rebuilding(with help from local machine shop) and the transmission I'm having rebuilt at a local shop. The guy who owns the trans shop told me that GM underrated the 3500 and 4500 from the factory and he regularly towing 10-12K with his and mine should easily handle 9-10K.

I understand that may not be possible without some upgrades. I plan on replacing the leaf packs with ones from a 2500, some heavy duty shocks, tires and some 4.10s in the rear(and front) and anything else that might help with achieve this. I'm not planning on doing this in the near future, so I have time to plan and source parts.

Before I pulled the engine and trans, I did tow my uncles trailer with some scrap metal. His trailer is 16' and 2K and there was ~200Lbs of scrap on the trailer. With all that, my truck didn't squat at all, even with me and my two brothers in the cab(~400Lbs). And at this point I have yet to do anything to the suspension.

The real question is, even with all those up grades, is the 4.3 up to the task?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So with the most recent addition to my fleet, my 1997 K1500, I am planning on using this as my main tow rig.

The truck came from the factory with a 4.3 Vortec, NV3500, 3.42 gears and it's just the standard 4x4 package. Is it possible to tow 10K, especially with a V6?

Now, the engine I'm rebuilding(with help from local machine shop) and the transmission I'm having rebuilt at a local shop. The guy who owns the trans shop told me that GM underrated the 3500 and 4500 from the factory and he regularly towing 10-12K with his and mine should easily handle 9-10K.

I understand that may not be possible without some upgrades. I plan on replacing the leaf packs with ones from a 2500, some heavy duty shocks, tires and some 4.10s in the rear(and front) and anything else that might help with achieve this. I'm not planning on doing this in the near future, so I have time to plan and source parts.

Before I pulled the engine and trans, I did tow my uncles trailer with some scrap metal. His trailer is 16' and 2K and there was ~200Lbs of scrap on the trailer. With all that, my truck didn't squat at all, even with me and my two brothers in the cab(~400Lbs). And at this point I have yet to do anything to the suspension.

The real question is, even with all those up grades, is the 4.3 up to the task?

The 4.3/5spd will move the load but I have serious doubts the truck will handle the weight in other respects and the idea is just dumb, irresponsible and criminal. Get in an accident and you would be liable criminally for damage or deaths you cause.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
The 4.3/5spd will move the load but I have serious doubts the truck will handle the weight in other respects and the idea is just dumb, irresponsible and criminal. Get in an accident and you would be liable criminally for damage or deaths you cause.
Care to elaborate on how it's dumb, irresponsible or criminal?

These trucks are more capable than what GM rated them and what people think they can't or can do.

Obviously I would make the necessary changes to the truck so IT CAN handle the weight.

I have a 97 C1500 that can handle 8K, of course It's a 5.7 with a built transmission for towing.

And yes, My trailer has brakes and I have a brake controller.

Dash cams come in very handy when fingers start pointing. I never roll without it.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Umm, no friggin way.
The brakes, cooling, suspension and frame aren't up to the task. You'd have to step up to at least a 8 lug 2500 to be remotely safe.
Well I wouldn't be doing this anytime soon. Obviously I would start in the 6K range and slowly go up, seeing how the truck reacts to it. It's not like I'd be towing backhoes or bull dozers.

And I wouldn't be pulling that kind of weight regularly, only certain occasions.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
When I had my 4.3, I did a lot of hauling with it that I probably shouldn’t have and it took it fine. I had easily 6000+ behind it plenty of times without a trailer brake so having a trailer brake would make me feel more comfortable. To make things a little safer I would add an extra leaf spring and also an extra helper spring. Maybe some plate welded to the frame on the weak spots ( between the cab and bed, and by the leaf spring shackle) Also with the cost of upgrading new gears front and back, why not just find a budget tow pig? They can be had fairly cheap if you know what to look for

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

These trucks are more capable than what GM rated them and what people think they can't or can do.

Obviously I would make the necessary changes to the truck so IT CAN handle the weight.

I have a 97 C1500 that can handle 8K, of course It's a 5.7 with a built transmission for towing.

And yes, My trailer has brakes and I have a brake controller.

Dash cams come in very handy when fingers start pointing. I never roll without it.

The frame and suspension can only handle so much. I have seen many of these trucks with bent frames. Also even if you could make the truck handle the weight it is still illegal to haul more than the stated GVW. In the court of law you would be held responsible and in most states would be cited by DOT if you were pulled over and they determined you were over weight. If you cause an accident or were in an accident you would likely have your insurance claim denied and could be criminally charged for negligence. Even if you avoided criminal charges you could still be held liable in a civil lawsuit and the odds of you having to pay for someones injury or property loss are very high. If you killed someone in the process you could be charged with manslaughter and serve jail time knowingly exceeding publsihed weight ratings by a large margin. Lawyers and prosecuters could make your life hell. Personally I would get a bigger truck, built and rated to handle your anticipated trailer weight.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a full 1-ton swap under my 1/2 ton van. The only thing missing is the 454. My 350 made more HP and TQ than the same year 454 after I hopped it up. Same frame, suspension, springs, and brakes as the 454/8.1 van rated to to 10,000 lbs. I never put more than the 6K rating behind it with the factory 5 lug stuff and even then it felt sketchy. With the 8-lug stuff I have had about 8K behind it a few times. It is solid as can be in handling and braking. Would I recomeend it, NO because technically it still has the 1500 VIN. But it is easy to determine it has all the proper 1-ton running gear minus the 454.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will it tow it? Probably, but will not be fun or safe.

Why spend all that effort on a 1500 truck? Swap everything you want and sure it will tow much better, but your frame is still a 1500 frame, as Express mentioned. You are even close to the towing limit of a late GMT400 2500/3500. The frame of a truck is analogous to the foundation of a building, LOL. Do you really want to build a 4 story building on a foundation designed for a 2 story building?

Surely you can find a 2500 work truck laying around! They are everywhere! Perfectly running 2500 trucks with 8' bed trucks around here get parted for no reason, other than they are not desirable anymore. I see them from as low as $850 mechanic special to $1,500 in rough shape but otherwise mechanically good.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

OK, no matter what you do, it's still a 1500,, and a good lawyer would tear you apart in court.
You want to tow that much, get a 3500 duel wheel with a 454, and 4:56 gears.
Really, one of the most common themes/threads/posts, on this forum is people spending tons of money and time trying to make 1/2 tons into 3/4 or 1 tons.
Its everything that's different; the axles/brakes/springs/frames/cooling system/computers/U-joints/driveshafts/transmissions/oil and trans coolers/A-arms/hubs/stabilizer bars/ and many times even the alternator is different, and I'm sure theirs more.