10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Late model vans have another huge advantage with the short dimension between the rear axle and hitch.

Yeah that helps, but trying to pull 10k with the associated tongue needed to keep the tail from wagging the dog the OP is also at another disadvantage with less weight over the front axle with the 4.3. Ride like a pogo stick.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Re crew cabs being rigid...I suppose they are. But that "rigid" should make the ride worse. Modern HD light trucks benefit from progressive springs and coils on front. Better engineered.
My 1 ton CC HO rides great until you get into the rear springs like on railroad crossings or holes...then the ride ain't so good.
It's really a Chebby....in disguise...[emoji57]
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I disagree. A solid frame creates less reverb after you hit a sharp bump. That's where the dually shines. That and backing out of my driveway off of the curb. It doesn't jerk you back and forth so much in the dually vs the 1500. There's more initial give and therefore more recovery. Even with stiff bars, springs, and the same damned shocks. IMO, the money lies either in the thicker frame or the stiffer CC cab config vs the EC config. Your Sub would have been that much better yet.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that helps, but trying to pull 10k with the associated tongue needed to keep the tail from wagging the dog the OP is also at another disadvantage with less weight over the front axle with the 4.3. Ride like a pogo stick.
Weight distributing hitch will add considerable weight to front axle.
There ain't nothing money can't fix.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Burb rode about the same as the dually. The Burb was 8600 lb unit. The Burb didn't shock the truck with hitting holes as does the one ton. Neither of them "rack" the driveline when backing.
If that's what you're referring to. Really low granny gears with heavy foot can cause that. The burb with manual tranny would rack a little on 4 lo. Auto doesn't do it.
Still, the old CC 350's were much harsher than the newer trucks.
I had an F250 PS 4x4 that was my first comfy heavy pickup ride. It was good enough. But it had a bucking problem on some highways when towing my 8500 lb 5ver. Always something. Nice truck though. My current dually is ideal for what I do. It isn't a daily driver by any description.

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this just an idea at the moment and not going to act on it for a long time for obvious reasons. Got alot of ideas spinning in my head about how I want to approach this, so I got time to think about this.

I'll probably put 4.10s in it next summer. Right now it can handle what I want. Yes I do have brakes on my trailer and I have a brake controller. Just have to wire the controller harness on the K1500 and get the brakes on the trailer wired into the main harness.

The reason I'm having the trans rebuilt is because the synchronizes were gone and it had issues shifting. Rebuilding it was cheaper than finding a used or rebuilt different manual trans. Not to mention the adapter for the transfer case and engine, if necessary.

The engine, it had 236K on it so a rebuild probably may have not been necessary, but I chose to do it instead of taking the unknown risk with a used one. Also, a good opportunity on how to learn to rebuild one.

What do you plan on hauling that's 10k?

It would make my day to see someone drive by with their half ton pulling a 5 ton excavator or bobcat with the driver grinning thinking to himself, "I'll prove them all wrong!"

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe putting a plow on the front, some garden tractor weights or a front end loader. We can get this done.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My Burb rode about the same as the dually. The Burb was 8600 lb unit. The Burb didn't shock the truck with hitting holes as does the one ton. Neither of them "rack" the driveline when backing.
If that's what you're referring to. Really low granny gears with heavy foot can cause that. The burb with manual tranny would rack a little on 4 lo. Auto doesn't do it.
Still, the old CC 350's were much harsher than the newer trucks.
I had an F250 PS 4x4 that was my first comfy heavy pickup ride. It was good enough. But it had a bucking problem on some highways when towing my 8500 lb 5ver. Always something. Nice truck though. My current dually is ideal for what I do. It isn't a daily driver by any description.

Racking driveline? No. I was referring to backing out of my driveway and bouncing down off the curb. The 1500 with heavy springs/bars is bouncy and annoying. The dually just plops down and it's done. Seems to better isolate the occupants from sharp bumps. It's all around better until you hit a low speed bump that engages the rear upper overload, then it sucks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Racking driveline? No. I was referring to backing out of my driveway and bouncing down off the curb. The 1500 with heavy springs/bars is bouncy and annoying. The dually just plops down and it's done. Seems to better isolate the occupants from sharp bumps. It's all around better until you hit a low speed bump that engages the rear upper overload, then it sucks.

My Express van never has been annoying with that aspect. It already plants the rear solidly. On the other hand backing up over said curb with the travel trailer or heavy trailer with the 4L85Es tall reverse gear, old 3.73s and 2,600 rpm stall took alot of RPM though. It would put alot of heat into the converter and the cooling system very quickly. Backing into some narrow, uphill campground sites was also a high rpm adventure with the converter doing most of the torque multiplication. Became much easier on the trans with the 5.13 gears.

Last edited:

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Became much easier on the trans with the 5.13 gears.
I had an old square-body panel truck with 5:13s, but with the SM465 trans.
In "granny" gear it felt like you could pull a house off of its foundation.
The cruising RPMs were pretty high, so when the rear end starting making noises I replaced the 5:13s with 4:89s.
Oh,, it was a 1ton panel, 10,000GVW with the Eaton rear end.
One of the best trucks I've ever had,, wish I still had it, oh well.