10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to mention that it's all 1 piece with an SUV. I imagine they must ride so much nicer even with the shorter leaf packs. My crew cabs ride way better than my 1500 on 2500 springs. I can't decide if it's cab rigidity or frame rigidity that's to blame. The crew cabs have 5/16" thick frames, the thickest the GMT400 trucks got not counting the HD.
The longer wheelbase?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW, 454 L29 was found in a few spec Suburban 800s in 2000. Some fleet owners didn't want 8.1s. Unsure why.
One of the friendliest tow engines (IMHO) and great for daily driver was the 6.0 with Allison or 4l80. Allison is slick.
Cheers.

Man, where did you see these GMT 800s with 454? Can site a source? I've
never seen one.

If you were a fleet owner and all you had was 454s well, that's probably what you wanted to keep.

And you say a 6.0 with Allison? Huh?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Body over frame adds rigidity to the overall structure. Like building a roll cage the 3rd dimension(height) adds strength by triangulating and tying it all together along its length. Pickup with a cab and box is not tied together and less rigid. Most times you can see the frame twist and the cab mis-align with the bed just from jacking up one corner.
The suburbans are stronger, but the vans are even stronger. Frame is fully boxed on them from the factory. You can buy an 03+ 6.0L van cheap too. With the extra weight and length they are a great tow vehicle. 03+ has rear disc brakes too.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on how it's dumb, irresponsible or criminal?

These trucks are more capable than what GM rated them and what people think they can't or can do.

Obviously I would make the necessary changes to the truck so IT CAN handle the weight.

I have a 97 C1500 that can handle 8K, of course It's a 5.7 with a built transmission for towing.

And yes, My trailer has brakes and I have a brake controller.

Dash cams come in very handy when fingers start pointing. I never roll without it.

Well it doesn’t matter if the truck is more capable. All that legally matters is the certification or legal recertifications. You can make whatever changes you want unless you have the vehicle recertified doesn’t matter what you personally do to “improve “ the truck. It’s still a 1/2 n rated to haul/tow only x amount of weight

You’re asking for trouble. The other members are simply saying that you can be criminally and personally be held liable. You think someone isn’t gonna sue you if you crash into them cause you can’t stop or control your vehicle because it’s overloaded? You think state troopers/DOT can’t see you’re overloaded?

I never understood people who take a 1/2 ton and try to get it to do 1 ton work. just go buy a 1 ton to start and this way you won’t have to Mickey Mouse a truck to eventually kill it because it’s overworked. And there are plenty of 3/4-1 ton trucks out there that will LEGALLY and SAFELY tow 10k. I can tell you right now that in this day and age you’re leaving yourself open to litigation or criminal charges.

By the time you’re done with the improvements you’ll be deep into a nice 3/4-1 ton truck. Dint get me wrong. In this day and age of litigation you would be crazy to do what you plan. Btw your insurance can decline to cover you also in case of a accident. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The suburbans are stronger, but the vans are even stronger. Frame is fully boxed on them from the factory. You can buy an 03+ 6.0L van cheap too. With the extra weight and length they are a great tow vehicle. 03+ has rear disc brakes too.

I not up on the Chevy vans but when they changed body styles I think around 95 or so the vans were one of the first Gm vehicles that had hydroformed high strength alloy sections in them. Man, they are brutally strong. Unbolt the frame throw it away and get another if they get hit in the front as you're not supposed to put a torch on it to get it un-bent.

I actually like a 1 ton van for towing. Keep your stuff dry and secure, and easy to set up camp for the night in one if need be. I've had more vans over the years then pick-ups.

Last edited:

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Late model vans have another huge advantage with the short dimension between the rear axle and hitch.
I hate the doghouse. Real PITA.
Re crew cabs being rigid...I suppose they are. But that "rigid" should make the ride worse. Modern HD light trucks benefit from progressive springs and coils on front. Better engineered.
My 1 ton CC HO rides great until you get into the rear springs like on railroad crossings or holes...then the ride ain't so good.
It's really a Chebby....in disguise...[emoji57]
You must be registered for see images attach