My first nv3500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all. I picked up a new project truck and thought I'd seek out some knowledge before I dig in.

I acquired a 1998 k1500 ecsb with 350, 4l60& push button t case. I bought it as a non runner because it’s rust free from TX (rarity here in WI). Seller told me he was told engine overheated & seized. I have another engine on a stand so I am not planning to spend much time assessing old engine condition. Will spin it over at the crank with a ratchet just to say i checked it. Truck has 300,000 miles.

My plans: I have a low mile long block 350 from a rolled/crashed 96 k15 I plan to swap into my 98. I also bought a complete parts truck 1993 k15 with 4.3/ nv3500 /floor shift t case I plan to swap into the 98.

My questions of y’all:

1) is ujoint the same on yoke end by transfer case where I can just swap the yoke for the 32 spline from parts k15? Parts truck is a regular cab long bed and my truck is an extra cab short bed, so I’m guessing driveshaft length is different and I can’t just throw parts truck driveshaft into my truck.

2) are there any weird idiosyncrasies I'll run into swapping a 93 trans into my 98 truck? Like maybe the clutch pedal bracket is different where it bolts to firewall for the newer truck or flywheel/pilot bushing issues using a vortec engine?

3) Will my Speedo sensor from my 98 thread into 93 floor shift transfer case And my speedometer will work?

4) will the manual column from my 1993 parts truck bolt into my 1998 without too much fabrication? Obviously 1998 has airbag and 1993 doesn’t.  but we don’t have inspections here and I actually prefer the look of the older, steering wheel and Column 

5). Any other Helpful input from people who have done this project?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Don't know any of your answers, but sounds like a great project. I'm in MI, and completely understand why you'd buy a southern truck. I hope you start a build thread.

Reaction score
Don't know any of your answers, but sounds like a great project. I'm in MI, and completely understand why you'd buy a southern truck. I hope you start a build thread.
I am not the best at keeping up with updates but the accountability would be nice. I've just got so many projects that I have a hard time deciding which ones to put effort into in what order. Ive got like 20 vehicles in my pasture, with hopes to combine several into a few good trucks. From Chevy Trackers (poor man's utv) to 79 f150s (my highschool dream truck) to more utilitarian gmt400 farm and plow trucks. Most of it is rusted out garbage to most folks. But it's my hobby to keep old junk going.

My 93 k15 plow truck frame broke last fall and I've also been meaning to get a 91 k25 4 spd I've got turned into my new plow truck.

Also have a 1985 skidsteer I need to do a Kubota repower on. And a few snowmobiles needing maintenance to get back going.

Also have babies and hobby farm improvement projects. So yeah, I'm all over the place on what to work on next

Jksconny

Reaction score
I would check on the clutch pedal mount to cab/firewall, having the same provisions on the 98 to accept it. Just something to consider

Ace17

Reaction score
Yeah, things started changing around 96' for the GM trucks.

1). So with the driveshaft, I would mainly be concerned with the overall length, the diameter of the u-joint bearings, and the splines going into the transfer case. Of course you know you'll need the 32 spline slip yoke, and you know you need to hunt down the right length for your driveshaft. What threw me was the fact that some time in the 90s, the diameter of the u-joint bearings changed, so when I tried to put on a new slip yoke(with newer style u-joint) at the front, it didn't fit my older (88') driveshaft holes. I ended getting a custom driveshaft ( since it was out of balance anyway), where I used the newer slip yoke at the front, and my older connection at the back so it fit my 1988 differential input yoke.

2). The only big difference you might have to be concerned with is the internal/external slave issue. That 93 trans will need to have an external slave, but since you're converting an automatic, you can just bring everything over from the 93 and it will be fine. You just have to make sure that you buy parts for the 93 trans, and not the 98 engine(clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch fork, etc.).

3). Thats a question I don't have an answer to - you might have to get under the truck, pull it out and inspect. The connectors may or may not be the same as well.

4). Not sure - left my column as is