10 bolt swap to 14 bolt (6 lug)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 k2500 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4 or was it Cheyenne had a 6 lug 14 bolt
So from what you guys are saying a 6 lug actually has a smaller ring gear than an 8 lug. That's crappy. Can the axles swap with the larger ring gear 14 bolt.
After losing a 10 bolt just hauling firewood I have no faith in 1500 trucks. I did what I did to get it back on the road but I'm not hauling anything with a 1500 anymore

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
My 88 k2500 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4 or was it Cheyenne had a 6 lug 14 bolt
So from what you guys are saying a 6 lug actually has a smaller ring gear than an 8 lug. That's crappy. Can the axles swap with the larger ring gear 14 bolt.
After losing a 10 bolt just hauling firewood I have no faith in 1500 trucks. I did what I did to get it back on the road but I'm not hauling anything with a 1500 anymore

The 9.5” 14 bolt is a major upgrade over the 10 bolt, it is also a 6 lug axle, so you won’t need to change wheels or front hubs. If you have a 4x4, you need a 4x4 axle as the 2wd axle is narrower.

The 14 bolt 10.25” to 11.5” is an 8 lug axle.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 9.5” 14 bolt is a major upgrade over the 10 bolt, it is also a 6 lug axle, so you won’t need to change wheels or front hubs. If you have a 4x4, you need a 4x4 axle as the 2wd axle is narrower.

The 14 bolt 10.25” to 11.5” is an 8 lug axle.
So it has a 9.5 ring gear and a 10 bolt has a ? 8.5 normally at best right.
In all my Adventures at the junkyards I have seen maybe 5 or less of these axles ever . I don't think I would seek out a 1500 truck ever again . I sure wish I could have found one of these axles because I just swapped my 10 bolt this weekend. Infact I'm not even done. Cost me $190 a 14 bolt would have been the same. Maybe going 8 lug is a better option. There's alot more 8 lug trucks alot

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In all my Adventures at the junkyards I have seen maybe 5 or less of these axles ever . I don't think I would seek out a 1500 truck ever again . I sure wish I could have found one of these axles because I just swapped my 10 bolt this weekend. Infact I'm not even done. Cost me $190 a 14 bolt would have been the same. Maybe going 8 lug is a better option. There's alot more 8 lug trucks alot

Man, that's crummy that you had that issue when you were hauling with your 1500. However, I would have to defend the 1500's as I am sure tens of thousands of people haul stuff with theirs everyday. Crap happens to us at the worst times, but I wouldn't fault every other vehicle because of it.

However, to each his own and maybe a 2500 would make you feel better about the work you have it do? I just do light hauling with mine, so I am not too worried about a failure related to what I carry.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score

I won’t lie finding a light duty 3/4 ton axle (6 lug) is like finding a needle in a haystack. I found mine and paid dearly for it, as in $500 just for the axle from an individual. He must’ve made out like a bandit, because I know that he got it from the local u pull salvage.

You will need new front hubs, brakes, and wheels. The front axle is different from the half ton as in bigger.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Its pretty easy to exceed payload hauling firewood and the 14SF has larger bearings and higher weight capacity. If you need more you need a bigger truck.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its pretty easy to exceed payload hauling firewood and the 14SF has larger bearings and higher weight capacity. If you need more you need a bigger truck.
Yeah I figured. I have a 97 F250hd powerstroke diesel zf5 4x4 long bed. But it's nasty on service roads unloaded. 4 inch crap lift on 35s. So my z71 is like a caddillac in comparison. I never filled it past the bed top. And never clapped it out . I need a k3500 :p

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, that's crummy that you had that issue when you were hauling with your 1500. However, I would have to defend the 1500's as I am sure tens of thousands of people haul stuff with theirs everyday. Crap happens to us at the worst times, but I wouldn't fault every other vehicle because of it.

However, to each his own and maybe a 2500 would make you feel better about the work you have it do? I just do light hauling with mine, so I am not too worried about a failure related to what I carry.
They seem to have a high failure rate.but I guess I don't know the history on this truck either