10 bolt swap to 14 bolt (6 lug)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll take correction/rescind this statement with definitive proof, but I don't think F44 on a half ton designates a semi floater rear end.

I didn't find any GM documentation with a quick Google search (to be honest, I am getting ready to leave the house so I only browsed the first page.)

A lot of the GM related forums seemed to indicate that the F44 RPO code grants you a six lug 9.5" 14SF axle with 11" drums and a pair of extra leaf springs.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I didn't find any GM documentation with a quick Google search (to be honest, I am getting ready to leave the house so I only browsed the first page.)

A lot of the GM related forums seemed to indicate that the F44 RPO code grants you a six lug 9.5" 14SF axle with 11" drums and a pair of extra leaf springs.

I was curious, so I looked. I'll take this [posted by "someotherguy" (considered an authority by all standards elsewhere on this board)] as substantial grounds to rescind my previous statement...

There's also no such thing as a GMT400 "Heavy Half" - that's a squarebody era package. There is a GMT400 with the F44 suspension package that does include the 9.5" 14 bolt and an extra leaf in a heavier duty spring pack.

So I've corrected myself.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was curious, so I looked. I'll take this [posted by "someotherguy" (considered an authority by all standards elsewhere on this board)] as substantial grounds to rescind my previous statement...

So I've corrected myself.

No worries! I was a NBS and NNBS guy before the GMT400. As a brand new owner, I am researching and learning about them as I go.

The problem with forums is anyone can literally post anything and if you aren't careful, you can take something incorrect as "fact." So, I tend to research across multiple forums / enthusiast sites to try and find the correct information.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
4th ID! 10th Mountain (Drum) myself.

I can chime in on this discussion. I found a 14 bolt SF 4x4 axle and swapped it in my rig after my 10 bolt decided to quit on me at 287k miles. You will need new u bolts when you find your axle, 1) for safety and age, 2) because they're different. Be sure to get the axle pads too. I got mine from an individual, so I had to find those extra items I previously mentioned. On another note, 4.10's are great for a daily, as I have them in my rig.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4th ID! 10th Mountain (Drum) myself.

I can chime in on this discussion. I found a 14 bolt SF 4x4 axle and swapped it in my rig after my 10 bolt decided to quit on me at 287k miles. You will need new u bolts when you find your axle, 1) for safety and age, 2) because they're different. Be sure to get the axle pads too. I got mine from an individual, so I had to find those extra items I previously mentioned. On another note, 4.10's are great for a daily, as I have them in my rig.

I was 4th ID, Ft. Hood, 03-08.

I didn’t think anyone would recognize the 4 Lieutenants pointing North!

I actually put this project off for a while. Parking brake locked up on my truck and ended up cooking a lot of components. I had to sink some money into the 10 bolt to get it back on the road. So I am going to roll it while I fix other items.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I was 4th ID, Ft. Hood, 03-08.

I didn’t think anyone would recognize the 4 Lieutenants pointing North!

I actually put this project off for a while. Parking brake locked up on my truck and ended up cooking a lot of components. I had to sink some money into the 10 bolt to get it back on the road. So I am going to roll it while I fix other items.

Only a small few will recognize patches. I retired in early ‘13 after 11 years. I did my time in the sandbox 05-06 with 10th Mountain. I’ve worn several others during my time.

Back to the truck talk: I wound up replacing a bunch of parts on my 14 bolt, but the best investment so far has been the trutrac locker.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
05-06? I was at FOB Rustimiyah (Baghdad) during that time...

I am not even close to getting to the fun mods. Right now, I am just trying to get this truck up to my spec and reliable to drive around.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
05-06? I was at FOB Rustimiyah (Baghdad) during that time...

I am not even close to getting to the fun mods. Right now, I am just trying to get this truck up to my spec and reliable to drive around.

Liberty/Victory, Independence myself

Yeah I understand the reliability part. I spent almost six months trying to make mine reliable before I installed a new motor, and that was two years ago. I guess mine is reliable in a sense, although it seems like I’m chasing one problem or another anymore.

Last edited: