xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just going to buy an Optima Red Top.

If you haven't already bought an Optima, I'd strongly recommend looking into an Odyssey instead. I had issues with Optima Yellow Tops years ago, I killed two of them in less than a year. I did some digging and found out that Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico some time ago. Apparently the quality really went downhill after that.

The Odysseys are a little more expensive, but they're made in the USA by Enersys and they've got better specs than the Optimas all around. I run Odysseys in all my vehicles now, only had to replace one so far and it was around eight years old.

EDIT - Here's the one I run in both of my '97s, the dual terminal 34/78-PC1500.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm34-78-battery-34-78-pc1500/

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you haven't already bought an Optima, I'd strongly recommend looking into an Odyssey instead. I had issues with Optima Yellow Tops years ago, I killed two of them in less than a year. I did some digging and found out that Johnson Controls bought them and moved production to Mexico some time ago. Apparently the quality really went downhill after that.

The Odysseys are a little more expensive, but they're made in the USA by Enersys and they've got better specs than the Optimas all around. I run Odysseys in all my vehicles now, only had to replace one so far and it was around eight years old.

EDIT - Here's the one I run in both of my '97s, the dual terminal 34/78-PC1500.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm34-78-battery-34-78-pc1500/
did you have to do anything special to keep the AGM's properly charged on our platform?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
did you have to do anything special to keep the AGM's properly charged on our platform?

Nope, they do just fine with the factory charging system. I occasionally plug them into a Deltran "Battery Tender Plus" trickle charger when they're not in use for a while, never had one leave me stranded.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone can have the battery, too. It works fine. I've been keeping it charged. I'm just going to buy an Optima Red Top.
Optima Red Tops are great if you have a vehicle that's going to sit for weeks or months at a time - so long as you disconnect the battery between uses. The Air Force uses Red Tops on flightline equipment and they're outstanding for equipment that sits unused.

What Red Tops really stink at is recovering from a discharge. I have three dead Red Tops under my electrical bench. They're also near $300 now, which is silly money for a weak battery.

I watched a Project Farm battery test video and now I'm using Whamalart batteries. They're discount Johnson Controls batteries. For less money than the "correct" battery for our trucks, I bought a 1000CA Whamalart "EverStart". I flattened out the end of the battery tray and it fits great with my top posts. If I knock it dead, I can recover it fairly easily with my old-school dumb battery charger.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media