Why is this bolt wet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This steering box frame was repaired, as you can see, and today I found the bottom bolt loose, and the steering box flexing and shifting within its compartment, and the weld cracking some on the bottom. I'm going to pull the whole steering box and lay eyes on it, but I was wondering what one might think about the farthest part of this bolt being wet, probably with steering fluid, or possibly oil. I would think this is just going into the cast frame of the box?

Thanks,

Tommy
Longview, WA
You must be registered for see images attach

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Touch it to your skin and let it sit. If it sucks all the moisture out and starts hurting pretty bad, it's ps fluid. If it doesn't, probably oil.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where is mystery residue, make it simple, point to it. Wipe it on a white paper towel, what color is the fluid. Smell it , used engine oil smells dif ' than power steer fluid. Look at where the bolt is located what fluid is nearby? Everything eventually has leaks, seeping, vapor residue on it. Ground residue?
You really think in an average photo, with what little residue is somewhere on a black phosphate bolt has some dark residue can be positively identified? :3811797817_8d685371

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where is mystery residue, make it simple, point to it. Wipe it on a white paper towel, what color is the fluid. Smell it , used engine oil smells dif ' than power steer fluid. Look at where the bolt is located what fluid is nearby? Everything eventually has leaks, seeping, vapor residue on it. Ground residue?
You really think in an average photo, with what little residue is somewhere on a black phosphate bolt has some dark residue can be positively identified? :3811797817_8d685371

Fair point. I guess my question really is whether it's a problem people have seen where the actually steering box or it's mounts or whatever break and fluid seeps onto the bolts. I'm going to pull it this weekend and look at it, that'll probably clear it up, and the box has only been in for like 5-6 months so hopefully they'll replace it if it's broken.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like another crack is propagating or wasn't repaired repaired/welded properly the first time from under the washer on the upper right bolt in the pic. pics can be deceiving but... either you didn't get the bolt torqued properly or the box is moving about from weakness in the frame.

When bolt on castings continue to flex you can break the casting. No saying that 's what your problem is, like said old stuff starts to leak. Drill stop cracks, weld it with a welder with enough ass to penetrate 3/16 steel, then 3/16 plate. We already talked about this. This looks like it needs a re-do from the beginning. Ie, cut off the scabbed on piece and start over. What you did there doesn't look burned in very well. "cold"

Attachments

• image0 (11).jpeg
    image0 (11).jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like another crack is propagating or wasn't repaired repaired/welded properly the first time from under the washer on the upper right bolt in the pic. pics can be deceiving but... either you didn't get the bolt torqued properly or the box is moving about from weakness in the frame.

When bolt on castings continue to flex you can break the casting. No saying that 's what your problem is, like said old stuff starts to leak. Drill stop cracks, weld it with a welder with enough ass to penetrate 3/16 steel, then 3/16 plate. We already talked about this. This looks like it needs a re-do from the beginning. Ie, cut off the scabbed on piece and start over. What you did there doesn't look burned in very well. "cold"
For the record, it was my buddy Kelly that did the weld, not me.