Why is my shop so reluctant to do a 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be looking for a driveshaft from a LD 2500 or from a 1500 w/F44 package that goes with a 9.5 SF if your current driveshaft is bad.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what the parts guy told me. He said that they're only agreeing to this swap bc I've been such a good customer who's put the time and effort into helping them with this truck before. I'm surprised that this is considered "custom" bc 14 bolt rear axles were an option on 1/2 tons and this axle is coming off another 1/2 ton.

The 14 bolt semi floater was not an "option" on the 1500's. They were originally called 2500's. We call them "Light Duty" 2500's. At some point there may have been a "Heavy Duty 1500" with the 14 bolt.

The emergency brake cable may have to be changed also.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 14 bolt semi floater was not an "option" on the 1500's. They were originally called 2500's. We call them "Light Duty" 2500's. At some point there may have been a "Heavy Duty 1500" with the 14 bolt.

The emergency brake cable may have to be changed also.
They were on 1500’s with F44 option. My buddies and my former 96 K1500’s both had 9.5 SF from factory.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know of any F44’s that didn’t come with a 9.5. Here’s my old 98 K1500 that did.
You must be registered for see images attach

And here’s a friend’s.

Attachments

• IMG_4730.jpeg
    IMG_4730.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if all the F44 1500s got them, but I'm pretty sure all the diesel 1500s did.
F44 gas 1500's got 'em too. I parted a few.

OP, you'll want new u-bolts. I know this doesn't solve your u-joint problem, but you don't want to re-use u-bolts; they are TTY (torque-to-yield) so they stretch as you torque 'em down. They'll "seem" fine on re-use but they may not torque correctly the second go-round. Not something you want to risk.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F44 gas 1500's got 'em too. I parted a few.

OP, you'll want new u-bolts. I know this doesn't solve your u-joint problem, but you don't want to re-use u-bolts; they are TTY (torque-to-yield) so they stretch as you torque 'em down. They'll "seem" fine on re-use but they may not torque correctly the second go-round. Not something you want to risk.

Richard
I was going to mention this too, but didn’t want to be “thatguy”, much information online that says otherwise. So I left it for @someotherguy. :biggrin:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to mention this too, but didn’t want to be “thatguy”, much information online that says otherwise. So I left it for @someotherguy. :biggrin:
Hey; before I knew any better I re-used some (my old '92 when I rebuilt it mostly back to stock) and the truck went several years with no issues, until the transmission blew up and the new owner just left it sitting. No idea what eventually became of that truck. But as we learn new information, we have to adjust our approach accordingly..

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey; before I knew any better I re-used some (my old '92 when I rebuilt it mostly back to stock) and the truck went several years with no issues, until the transmission blew up and the new owner just left it sitting. No idea what eventually became of that truck. But as we learn new information, we have to adjust our approach accordingly..

Richard
I’m sure we’ve all done worse, I know I have. But after spending that much dough, why skimp?