Why does my starter keep messin with me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
So about a year and a half ago it took me forever to figure out why after driving my truck for about 20 miles and turn it off it would refuse to make the starter spin, dead nothing no sounds whatsoever. Only thing I could notice what that the dash lights would dim when holding the key in the starting position. well, i replaced the starter and all has been perfect until now its doing it again! Its probably the cheap POS starter I got from the store. I am just wondering if anyone knows why it only last a year and half? its just frustrating when it leaves me stranded in a parking spot for 20 or 30 mins before it will start again! I think its the stupid copper contacts that are getting worn out and dont touch when they expand with heat.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So about a year and a half ago it took me forever to figure out why after driving my truck for about 20 miles and turn it off it would refuse to make the starter spin, dead nothing no sounds whatsoever. Only thing I could notice what that the dash lights would dim when holding the key in the starting position. well, i replaced the starter and all has been perfect until now its doing it again! Its probably the cheap POS starter I got from the store. I am just wondering if anyone knows why it only last a year and half? its just frustrating when it leaves me stranded in a parking spot for 20 or 30 mins before it will start again! I think its the stupid copper contacts that are getting worn out and dont touch when they expand with heat.

You already know :lol: I have not had good luck with parts store starters, like ever... Next time it does it do a volt drop test, that'll tell you what you need to know for sure.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check the ground cable too. I had an issue with a Ford truck that the ground cable was corroded inside the terminal crimp and would make contact for a while and then out of the blue, nothing. Like Ruger said, a voltage drop test will be a good way to find the issue

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I honestly cant stand any parts store bs parts. I am going to order an acdelco online brand new and hopefully it will last more than a year

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a branded starter. If you can buy an original one, the better.