Starter interchangeable info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was with my brother in his 06 GMC with the 8100 gas engine, starter acting up, I crawl under it, and smack it with a hammer, started up drove back. He ordered a new one online, Remy I think, I went over to install it, taking the bad one off, it was a big old one like you would see on a 65 V-8 Chevy engine with the 14" flywheel, his replacement looked like the race car starters that I've installed over the years, but factory , had to go get different bolts but it got me to think. And thinking to much, I ordered one with the bolts, and installed it one my 99 suburban. Will post pics

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Weird that the 8.1 would have the older starter. Maybe someone swapped it in? My 454 has the small PMGR starter from the factory.

Getting the right bolts is very important as they're a SAE/metric hi-brid that locate the starter on the block.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, he bought truck few years ago, definitely was a old style, I'm thinking over 50 years of interchangeable parts
You must be registered for see images attach

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully the picture shows up, I put this on my 99. K-1500 with the 350/5.7. no issues at all, definitely will work with the 14" flywheel on V-8s. And 4.3 engines too, smaller, less current drain when starting, very happy to discover it

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hopefully the picture shows up, I put this on my 99. K-1500 with the 350/5.7. no issues at all, definitely will work with the 14" flywheel on V-8s. And 4.3 engines too, smaller, less current drain when starting, very happy to discover it
That's weird, that the solenoid is as big as the actual starter motor. My Burb had one of those little guys on it, and the one it was replaced with is more like the one that it had when I got it. The gear reduction type, but the second series Delco Remy starter with the motor housing all one size, not stepped case like the 10MT one from the 70s. I had to get used to the difference in sound it makes while cranking, but it definitely does the job.