Starter binding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbrewer7

Reaction score
Hey I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado and when trying to crank it makes a loud noise and almost sound like the starters getting into a bind and then after a few times of trying to turn the key over it might start, also I’ve put three starters on it and it still does the same thing anyone got any ideas?

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any chance you could get us a video of the noise?
Just jumping to the 1st thot that hit my mind, if you've done multiple starters and the problem persists, it's likely flywheel teeth. Or low voltage?

Johnbrewer7

Reaction score
Is there any chance you could get us a video of the noise?
Just jumping to the 1st thot that hit my mind, if you've done multiple starters and the problem persists, it's likely flywheel teeth. Or low voltage?

Here’s a pic of the flywheel, I can’t figure out how to post a video, but it sounds super bad but I Mean when I get it to crank it runs good, like a loud clanking noise and when that noise happenes that’s when the starter gets stuck but I mean I can turn the engine over by the crank and I don’t hear nothing

Attachments

• FA75F635-018B-4E39-AF72-B0E3C2DF73D2.png
    FA75F635-018B-4E39-AF72-B0E3C2DF73D2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the open-circuit battery voltage?

What is the battery voltage when cranking?

What is the voltage drop from battery + to starter solenoid +?

What is the voltage drop from starter housing to battery -?
You must be registered for see images attach

Ideally, that flexplate would be replaced since it has at least one, and probably more chipped teeth.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those teeth look good on the flywheel, so there goes that idea.
Is the starter actually engaging, meaning it is turning tbe engine over? Or is it just chattering against the flywheel?
I had a starter once that just chattered against the flywheel. It had low voltage on the wire that engaged the starter. Not enough amperage coming thru to pull the solenoid firmly.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's at least one chipped tooth in that photo, and likely more farther around the circumference.
Obviously I'm no dentist, I didn't see that one at 1st glance!
I did expect it to look more beat up. I've seen much worse looking flywheel teeth perform wonderfully tho. You're correct, this is one spot, possibly the "good" section.