Starter sticking, what could be the cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
97 C3500 CCLB,5.7/4L80E , the starter has been acting stupid periodically the last few days. What it sounds like is the starter is spinning, but the solenoid is not activating and kicking the Bendix drive out into the flexplate teeth. It'll do this two or three times, then if we wait a minute or two, and try it again, starter acts perfectly normal and the truck cranks a second and then fires off. Like no problem at all.
Any hints on what it could be (besides checking connections)? Or is it time to replace the starter?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had one do that on an old nissan, replaced the starter and didn't look back.

If the motor spins and the bendix is just sticking in the disengaged position, maybe you can clean/lube it to get more life from it.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with battery voltage and connections first. It does sound like the battery voltage is optimal, based on your description of the issue, but just double-check. Also want to ensure all your connections are satisfactory and no build up of grease or corrosion at connection points. If all that is good to go, then as JOHNGAAA1 recommended.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change the starter solenoid, its weak. It bolts right in with simple tools.
+1
Start with battery voltage and connections first. It does sound like the battery voltage is optimal, based on your description of the issue, but just double-check. Also want to ensure all your connections are satisfactory and no build up of grease or corrosion at connection points. If all that is good to go, then as JOHNGAAA1 recommended.
+1

Can you still get a starter solenoid? I haven’t seen one in a long time!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I remembered I have a starter on my parts shelf, gonna get it checked out at O'Reilly's and if good, I'll use it. Solenoid is showing available at O'Reilly's, ~$50. Starter's $100+

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My original starter did that a few times, and I was advised by someone that the pinion may need lubrication, after many miles/years. I never got to it and eventually it wasn't wanting to spin either.... I say eventually, and that could have been a year or more.

The problem I ran into trying to replace the solenoid, was that the screws holding the original on, were snapping. I still have it sitting in a box, saved for rebuilding. I'm a little concerned the rebuilder won't want to mess with it, with those broken screws, as they're tiny.

I broke the original solenoid to get a look inside, and it was destroyed/melted.

I bought a new Korean made ACDelco mini-starter. It works great, but I do have one complaint. The OEM heat-shield doesn't fit it. It has not caused problems for me, but I'm not in a super hot climate, either.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Update: the parts shelf starter is bad, so must be an old one from the Burb. I did swipe the heat shield from it before using it for a core, for the reman starter from O'Reilly's. Then I went to the local Chevy dealership parts department, to get $19 worth of new bolts...since the "service replacement" starter is the smaller GM mini starter and what is on the truck is the larger case smaller starter.