Why does my power window stop 3 times?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1990 Regular Cab with factory power windows.

Going all the way down or all the way up, my driver side window will stop at three spots where I have to help it past there. It operates pretty smoothly in between those spots.....when It gets stuck it makes a loud stutter vibration sound.

I have the door panel off, but can't see much in there. Don't want to start taking stuff apart now that winter is coming, unless I know what I'm getting into.

Would love to get this fixxed, please help me!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the motor is going out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Not sure but my 90 model did the exact same thing but never figured mine out either. It sounded to me like the gears on the actuator might have been worn off in those spots

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Motor sounds to be working fine....it does sound like a stripped gear tooth or something, but I'm not familiar with the construction of the components.

It also makes the sound when the window is all the way up/down. Which I don't know if that is normal for the motor will keep turning with the window fully up/down...sounds kinda stupid.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Mine did that as well lol. I never fixed mine just dealt with it, because I hate tearing into the doors

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

kmcbride74

Reaction score
Motor sounds to be working fine....it does sound like a stripped gear tooth or something, but I'm not familiar with the construction of the components.

It also makes the sound when the window is all the way up/down. Which I don't know if that is normal for the motor will keep turning with the window fully up/down...sounds kinda stupid.

Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing this exact same thing. I assume there are broken/worn tooth on the gear that the actuator is on?