Power window problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotJeff

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated.
1988 Silverado C1500 5.7
Power windows were not working so I installed a new switch on driver side the window would work most of the time but sometime when you first started off it wouldn’t work but would start working after driving a short distance. I figured there might be a bad spot in the motor so I installed a new window regulator motor assembly and it didn’t work. I tested for power at the switch and at the connection at the motor have power on both the up and down contact but when I connect it to the window motor it doesn’t work and it trips the fuse
/circuit breaker so I then have no current when testing with the test light but if I wait a few minutes the fuse resets and the test light will light again at all the test points. I’ve looked at all the wiring that you can see where it runs from the door to the body and see no problem at all with any frayed wiring.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated.
1988 Silverado C1500 5.7
Power windows were not working so I installed a new switch on driver side the window would work most of the time but sometime when you first started off it wouldn’t work but would start working after driving a short distance. I figured there might be a bad spot in the motor so I installed a new window regulator motor assembly and it didn’t work. I tested for power at the switch and at the connection at the motor have power on both the up and down contact but when I connect it to the window motor it doesn’t work and it trips the fuse
/circuit breaker so I then have no current when testing with the test light but if I wait a few minutes the fuse resets and the test light will light again at all the test points. I’ve looked at all the wiring that you can see where it runs from the door to the body and see no problem at all with any frayed wiring.
gotta ask here, new regulator/motor assembly from a box or a junkyard, either way I've seen bad ones.

NotJeff

Reaction score
New from car parts.com
I bought a new one for both sides and when the driver side didn’t work I connected the new motor for the passenger side to the driver side connector just to test if it would work and it did not. I’m getting power with a test light at the switch both up and down and at the connector where it plugs into the motor but when I plug it into the motor and push the switch and then test with the light I have no power for a few minutes and then the fuse/ circuit breaker resets automatically and I start getting power again with the test light.

NotJeff

Reaction score
Found the problem and now have a working drivers window the ground wire was broken, I pulled slack out from where the wiring goes from the door into the body there were a couple of connectors just inside the body panel and the ground was broken. Power door lock still not working. And neither the window nor lock on passenger side. more work todo.
You must be registered for see images attach

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pink and orange are hots for the windows and locks, i dont remember which is which exactly. My drivers side controls didnt work and it ended up being the pink and orange wires were both broke.

NotJeff

Reaction score
I finally figured it out after looking forever at the wiring diagram’s and not being good at reading them I did notice that both doors windows and lock wiring seemed to be linked and I had removed the switches from the passenger door and the master switch at the drivers door would not operate the passenger window nor would the power lock switch work but when I installed new switches in the passenger door everything worked, I guess all the switches had to be installed in order for it to complete the circuit. End result was I replaced the regulator and motor assembly and the power lock actuator on the driverside and all switches on both doors. The driver side window seems to go up and down faster and smoother than the passenger side but I’m fine with the way it’s working. And it’s nice having power locks for the first time since I’ve owned the truck. Now if I can just figure out what’s wrong with the A/C that would be nice! The summers get hot here in North Georgia.