Why does every one hate the 700r4???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonesz0003

Reaction score
I was thinking of putting the 700r4 behind my 454 and it seems like everyone hates it, why is this??? because i have that tranny behind my built 350 with about 520 HP and it has held up perfect so far

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love mine, never any problems since i put it in. OD is the $hit when driving on the interstate.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is the same as a 4l60e just not electronic.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting the 700r4 behind my 454 and it seems like everyone hates it, why is this??? because i have that tranny behind my built 350 with about 520 HP and it has held up perfect so far

The 700R4 is certainly not a bad transmission, it just has certain limitations. Personally I would be looking at a 4L80 to back a big block, even more so in a truck. A 700R4 could definitely be built to go behind a big block, but a 4L80 has more torque capacity from the beginning than a 700R4 which btw is also known as the 4L60. 4=four gears, L=Longitudinal engine configuration, 60, 65, 80, etc. is an arbitrary torque capacity rating, and the e sometimes attached to the end simply denotes an electronically controlled valve body; where applicable. You didn't mention anything about 4WD so why not something like say a T56? :hmm: Whats the full-spec on that 350 w/ 520 HP?

I rebuilt the 700R4 that was originally in my truck, having no prior transmission building experience, I used this video, and a couple of books, and relied heavily upon a local automatic transmission builder of 30 or so years experience for tech support and went at it. http://www.technicalvideos.com/videos/transmission.phtml

Yep, I actually did that for some reason. It was cool learning, but I still eneded up swapping transmissions b/c I like having 6 gears instead of 4 and being able to fully control the power 100% of the time. :cool:

Here is a pic of about the midway point during the rebuild I did on my 700R4.
You must be registered for see images

I have a few other pics of that madness, but not alot b/c most of the time my hands were too greasy and or dirty to use a camera or I didn't have a second set of hands to snap pics. :crazy:

It is the same as a 4l60e just not electronic.
I'm pretty sure that there are also some, however small differences inside of the transmission in terms of hard parts as well, but I'm not absolutely certain. But yeah generally speaking they are the same.

Last edited:

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like 90'rado said it is not a bad transmission. However there are better options out there for your truck. I like his idea of of the t56 I think that would be perfect behind your 454 once you get it built. The stock t56 in my old 99 z28 was pretty good I beat on that thing for a couple of years but once I was making 450 hp to the wheels it didn't do so hot. Sent it off for a rebuild and DAMN that was a world of difference. That bad boy was built to handle 750+hp and shifted smooth as butter. I don't think you would be disappointed with a t56 as long as you like rowing your own gears.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x3 or 4 lol. i just flat out hate auto trans the 700r4 is an ok trans but id totally go with a 5 speed behind a built bbc or even sbc. and in that truck that you have a 5 speed would be sooo sick to see.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it!

yeah buddy!

x3 or 4 lol. i just flat out hate auto trans the 700r4 is an ok trans but id totally go with a 5 speed behind a built bbc or even sbc. and in that truck that you have a 5 speed would be sooo sick to see.

I prefer manual boxes over slushboxes too. A five speed would be fine, but if there is no need for the granny 1st typical of truck 5speeds, I'd go T56, 450 LBFT of TQ capacity bonestock.