92 silverado 700r4 not going into lock up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryals316

Reaction score
Have a 92 c1500 that has 700r4 I have done a carb swap and put a completely different motor in it. I understand that the TCC lockup works off the ecm but my motor no longer has the temp or tps sensor how would I need to go about putting it on a switch to have lockup when on the highway also brake light on the dash is on would this need to be changed and fixed first also

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 92 c1500 that has 700r4 I have done a carb swap and put a completely different motor in it. I understand that the TCC lockup works off the ecm but my motor no longer has the temp or tps sensor how would I need to go about putting it on a switch to have lockup when on the highway also brake light on the dash is on would this need to be changed and fixed first also
Install a Painless or TCI internal/external lock up kit for the 700R4/200-4R...You can search Amazon and buy either one there...The TCI is the less expensive of the two but the Painless is a bit more refined...If you want the 'Cadillac' of all internal/external lock up kits, buy the B&M kit...It's fully adjustable and allows you to set the lock up speed via a dial on the controller.

If you don't want to mess with electro-mechanical solutions at all, source a valve body from an 82-87 700R4 and bolt that on...Before you do, install the Superior Technologies TCC mechanical lock up kit into the 4th bore from the left side of the valve body on the shift-valve side (the opposite side from the TV valve/plunger, etc).

Whatever you do, don't keep driving it without lock up or your torch your TCC and prob the trans as well.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I suggest the TCI vacuum lockup kit with the brake switch in line a fuse in line at the battery, and add a lighted toggle switch so you can override the lockup when desired. This way when the switch is turned on the lockup converter will engage when the vacuum goes below the hg setting. With the switch off the truck will accelerate better until at highway speed when you flip the lockup on. I personally think the lockup engages at the wrong times often especially with the 700R-4. The 60E seems to be a little better in this lockup department.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But will the vacuum kit work well with it being a carbureted motor
Yes, as long as your motor is making adequate vacuum. Like i said, if you dont want to mess with those lock up kits, grab a first gen (82-87) valve body, install the Superior Tech mechanical lock up kit and Transgo's 700P separator plate (forgot to mention the plate earlier, you'll need it to work with the first gen valve body) then install the stiffest spring that comes in the superior tech kit. Triggers TCC lock up at around 47-50 mph...

ryals316

Reaction score
I’ll probably go with either the painless or the tci but I also tried jumping it earlier today with a piece of wire in the ALDL(obd1 port) but it didn’t do anything that I noticed might of not of been jumping the right wires but I jumped the tan/black wire to the ground wire and it still didn’t seem to do anything

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll probably go with either the painless or the tci but I also tried jumping it earlier today with a piece of wire in the ALDL(obd1 port) but it didn’t do anything that I noticed might of not of been jumping the right wires but I jumped the tan/black wire to the ground wire and it still didn’t seem to do anything
Yea, no need to f around with shade tree stuff, especially if you want to avoid damaging anything. Just install one of those kits mentioned and you'll be good to go.

ryals316

Reaction score
Also would the brake light being on on the dash make it where it would not activate even with me trying to jump it at the ALDL port I believe I’ve read that the brake switch if it’s bad will cause it not the engage but I was wondering if I need to replace the brake switch before I even try to jump it cause when I tried jumping it earlier today it didn’t seem to make any difference

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Holley Sniper and a 700R4, and the factory ECM is getting neither TPS nor CTS values. It still controls lockup just fine. Your problem is elsewhere.

Also, what have you done to correct your TV cable geometry?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ryals316

Reaction score
I had to take a day and play with the tv cable and just finally got it close don’t believe it’s 100 percent right I had mine two tight where it would slip going into over drive had to YouTube it and just play with, and do u think the brake switch would have something to do with it?