Which Fuel Sending Unit to Choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed my fuel gauge is steady when my truck is parked, but bounces heavily when driving. I'm assuming the original fuel sender needs replacing. My search at Summit, Autozone, O'Reilly, shows senders from $50 - $450. Truck is a 1997, 5.7 350 Vortec. I would like to stick to AC Delco, but even that I'm getting different part numbers that are "verified fit for your vehicle" depending on which website I'm searching. Anyone know the true AC Delco part number that will work for my truck, or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told that '97 is a transition year. Early-production used the older kind of fuel pump, later production went to the expensive, unitized assembly.

I've never dropped the tank in my '97 K2500 7.4L to see what version I have; although I think I've got the later-production vehicle based on some other things.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only use a GM pump, otherwise you will be sorry and become an expert of doing the same job twice. The new pumps come with a retrofit, with a new connector to update from the square plug to the flat 4 wire new style plug.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only use a GM pump, otherwise you will be sorry and become an expert of doing the same job twice. The new pumps come with a retrofit, with a new connector to update from the square plug to the flat 4 wire new style plug.
Did I make an oopsie by installing a Delphi pump? lol

I had the same bouncy fuel gauge as the OP and I dropped the tank and put in a new Delphi assembly and it's perfect now...hopefully for more than a few months

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newb question - If I'm replacing the Fuel Sending unit, do I need to replace the pump as well? I'm wondering if that's the pricing discrepancy I'm seeing. Or is that one of those "while you're in there, you may as well do it" things?

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I make an oopsie by installing a Delphi pump? lol

I had the same bouncy fuel gauge as the OP and I dropped the tank and put in a new Delphi assembly and it's perfect now...hopefully for more than a few months
I've read enough failed delphi message board posts, which is why I want to stick to original if I can find it. It's a big job to drop the tank, so I'm hoping to only do it once.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newb question - If I'm replacing the Fuel Sending unit, do I need to replace the pump as well? I'm wondering if that's the pricing discrepancy I'm seeing. Or is that one of those "while you're in there, you may as well do it" things?
you can replace just the pump but if your fuel gauge is wonky might as well do the whole thing. I had just the pump replaced at a dealership while on a road trip just to get me back on the road, worked fine for another 2 years with my fuel gauge bouncing around. I just dropped the tank to change out the whole pump/sender assembly last week. I thought I remember Delphi being one of the recommended brands. Maybe not. Oh well, it's in there now lol

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can replace just the pump but if your fuel gauge is wonky might as well do the whole thing. I had just the pump replaced at a dealership while on a road trip just to get me back on the road, worked fine for another 2 years with my fuel gauge bouncing around. I just dropped the tank to change out the whole pump/sender assembly last week. I thought I remember Delphi being one of the recommended brands. Maybe not. Oh well, it's in there now lol
Roger that! Thanks for the info!