Where to find new gasket for cargo/3rd brake light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I am using the wrong words, but I need a new gasket for the combination third brake light-cargo light. Anyone have a source? Maybe a GM only product?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's supposed to be permanently attached to the factory housing and non-serviceable. Only way I'm aware of to replace it is to buy an entire new bulb housing. Part number 16522433 (assuming your signature is correct and you have a '94 standard cab, the ext. cab housings are different), about $115 new from GM Parts Direct.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to replace my light assembly several years ago, because I could not find a gasket. There are a lot of LED replacements for maybe 1/2 the price on the GM replacement.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's disappointing to hear. My gasket is definitely shot. 24 years of exposure to the elements have it all shriveled and it has pulled away from the cab along the top edge. I don't want to start getting water into the cab. Don't really want anything other than a stock looking brake light. How hard is it to remove the "non-serviceable" gasket from the light assembly? I am sure I could make a replacement gasket if I can separate the gasket from the housing. Might need to get a spare used 3rd brake light to experiment with.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not hard to remove, but once you do, you will see the issue with making one.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered a non-stock replacement for about 20% of the price df2x4 listed above from Amazon. Kenny, when I swap the new for old I will get to see what your talking about.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered a non-stock replacement for about 20% of the price df2x4 listed above from Amazon. Kenny, when I swap the new for old I will get to see what your talking about.

Care to link it?

I'm not finding anything that resembles the factory housing part number I posted on Amazon. If someone's got an aftermarket solution for that cheap I'd be interested to see it. Or were you talking about a whole aftermarket light?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reason I replaced mine, was for the same reason you are replacing yours. Mine was leaking too. That was, IDK maybe about 4 or 5 years ago. I think mine is a spyder brand. The only issue I had, was the cargo light on the passengers side didn't work all of the time. I removed the light not long ago, and found a bad solder joint. I just resoldered that connection, and its been all good.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Care to link it?

I'm not finding anything that resembles the factory housing part number I posted on Amazon. If someone's got an aftermarket solution for that cheap I'd be interested to see it. Or were you talking about a whole aftermarket light?

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a whole new 3rd brake/cargo light. Sorry I guess I wasn't clear what it was I purchased. It doesn't look much like the original light either, but for the price and the hoped for ability to seal up the hole in the roof it seems like a good solution until I can come up with something better.